Ich confusion??

TMartins

Hello, I posted a while back that my Platies were rubbing against my Aquarium plants and started treating them for flukes with paracleanse.  Then I noticed one of my Rummy Nose Tetras with white spots and then the Platies got white spots.  So I stopped the Paracleanse and switched to Ich-X and the white spots disappeared after treating for 4 days but the Platies started rubbing against plants again and not have any white spots so I stopped Ich-X and went back to Paracleanse.  Now the Platies have clamped fins and the white spots are back on the Rummy Noses and Platies.  I’m on day 2 of the Paracleanse and not sure if I should stop and go back to Ich-X or finish the Paracleanse, but the white spots have really come back and regret stopping Ich-X treatment.  All my water parameters are 0 with the Ph at 6.8 after adding crushed coral in a heavily planted tank .  I don’t know what to do at this point and it’s hard seeing my fish go through this.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, TMartins said:

Hello, I posted a while back that my Platies were rubbing against my Aquarium plants and started treating them for flukes with paracleanse.  Then I noticed one of my Rummy Nose Tetras with white spots and then the Platies got white spots.  So I stopped the Paracleanse and switched to Ich-X and the white spots disappeared after treating for 4 days but the Platies started rubbing against plants again and not have any white spots so I stopped Ich-X and went back to Paracleanse.  Now the Platies have clamped fins and the white spots are back on the Rummy Noses and Platies.  I’m on day 2 of the Paracleanse and not sure if I should stop and go back to Ich-X or finish the Paracleanse, but the white spots have really come back and regret stopping Ich-X treatment.  All my water parameters are 0 with the Ph at 6.8 after adding crushed coral in a heavily planted tank .  I don’t know what to do at this point and it’s hard seeing my fish go through this.

I would deal with ich Frist as that will kill your fish more quickly than treat with paracleanse for the flukes it will take 2-3 course of treatment two weeks to get rid of gill flukes

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

1. With ich, you must continue to treat for days after you see the last spot on the fish, due to to unique lifecycle of the ich parasite. To be honest, I would treat for 6-7 days after seeing the last spot....just to be safe.

2. As Colu mentioned....you can deal with any parasites after completely eradicating the ich.

• Thanks 1