75-125 gallon tank ideas

Tdog

Hey everyone. I’m looking at getting a new tank around 75-125 gallon. Need it to be no longer than 65”. Looking for recommendations on  favorite brands. Looking at Marineland, aqueon and Topfin but nervous of the comments stating them leaking at the seams.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:43 PM, Tdog said:

What brand would that one be? I want to get as big as I can but most I’m seeing under 65” limits me to around 75 gals

Recently I have had good luck with Aqueon. I think there has been a lot consolidation in the manufacturing of aquariums and brand may not matter.

I have a 75 gal Marineland (thin black silicone) and a 125 Aqueon (sloppy, goopy clear silicone). With that being said, I like the quality of my Seapora 40 long tank better than both of them. Black silicone spread evenly, clean cut class, etc. It just looks and feels like a higher level of precision and quality.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 4:55 AM, Daniel said:

Recently I have had good luck with Aqueon. I think there has been a lot consolidation in the manufacturing of aquariums and brand may not matter.

over the years, some makers have been bought up or vanished. the company that made my 120 was pretty common a few decades ago, now they dont exist.

I just had an Aqueon 75 spring a big ole leak all over my new carpet and the display cabinet that I had built for it, all while I was 400 miles away. Obviously, that won't necessarily be your experience, but based on the other reviews on Petco's website, it really seems like there is something going on with Aqueon 75s lately. I know for every bad review, there's a hundred good experiences that didn't have an issue, but I definitely think it's something to be aware of.

In all honestly, looking back on it, there were some things that I did that may have contributed to it leaking (putting it on an uneven surface, moving it while partially full), but whether or not those were for sure the reason, it looks like lots of others have had problems with the 75s.

Just my two cents when it comes to tanks that size.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:55 AM, Daniel said:

Very possibly the case with manufacturers and I respect your thoughts about Aqueon...but if a manufacturer was forced to warranty the damage caused by their product failing...quality would dramatically increase.  

Now you going to say "Well so would the cost"  my answer to that is...FINE!!  I'm willing to pay a bit more for something I have faith in.  All Glass Aquarium used to make a great aquarium back in the day...then they were bought out by Aqueon and all I ever see is reviews about leaking and problems and damaged furniture and floors.  Until you have lived thru a flood and not 75 gallons how about 13,000 gallons from your above ground pool that let loose  and rearranged your whole back yard, front yard and the back of  inside your house.  You never want to deal with water on the floor again. 

My wife and I are discussing a large 200+ main tank for our living room (she has come along way!!) If it truly comes to pass...It will not be Aqueon and more than likely will not be a regular name brand because of size requirements.  There are private companies that build exceptional quality tanks that stand behind them and yes I'm going to pay big time for it....but if that what it take for me to sleep at night so be it.  

I am not trying to bash Aqueon but want them to step up and address the issues people are having with their aquariums.  I know the 40 gallon breeder is designed to not have a center brace but having an 1/8 inch or more bow to a piece of glass and its not tempered terrifies me! I am willing to admit maybe I'm overreacting but it gave me chills just writing that statement, To all the people hat own their Aqueon tank and love them...that is awesome...and I wish them decades of no issues. I would buy them in the smaller sizes but for anything big I'm looking elsewhere.

I wish I liked acrylic tanks but I just don't think they have the clarity of low iron glass. 

This is all my personal opinion I hope I did not offend anybody in any way.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:18 PM, ARMYVET said:

Very possibly the case with manufacturers and I respect your thoughts about Aqueon...but if a manufacturer was forced to warranty the damage caused by their product failing...quality would dramatically increase.  

Now you going to say "Well so would the cost"  my answer to that is...FINE!!  I'm willing to pay a bit more for something I have faith in.  All Glass Aquarium used to make a great aquarium back in the day...then they were bought out by Aqueon and all I ever see is reviews about leaking and problems and damaged furniture and floors.  Until you have lived thru a flood and not 75 gallons how about 13,000 gallons from your above ground pool that let loose  and rearranged your whole back yard, front yard and the back of  inside your house.  You never want to deal with water on the floor again. 

My wife and I are discussing a large 200+ main tank for our living room (she has come along way!!) If it truly comes to pass...It will not be Aqueon and more than likely will not be a regular name brand because of size requirements.  There are private companies that build exceptional quality tanks that stand behind them and yes I'm going to pay big time for it....but if that what it take for me to sleep at night so be it.  

I am not trying to bash Aqueon but want them to step up and address the issues people are having with their aquariums.  I know the 40 gallon breeder is designed to not have a center brace but having an 1/8 inch or more bow to a piece of glass and its not tempered terrifies me! I am willing to admit maybe I'm overreacting but it gave me chills just writing that statement, To all the people hat own their Aqueon tank and love them...that is awesome...and I wish them decades of no issues. I would buy them in the smaller sizes but for anything big I'm looking elsewhere.

I wish I liked acrylic tanks but I just don't think they have the clarity of low iron glass. 

This is all my personal opinion I hope I did not offend anybody in any way.

All Glass were great tanks.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 2:28 PM, lefty o said:

All Glass were great tanks.

Yes they were...along with Oceanic tanks, they used to be the "UPSCALE" tank...beautiful seams, nice trim just great quality....now both AGA and Oceanic were purchased by Central Garden & Pet.

They rebranded AGA to Aqueo n and moved all production under one roof so Oceanic while the name still exhists the quality went out the window.  

Oceanic was a premium brand aquarium that was very popular up until about 2007 when the recession hit. The brand was moved from Texas to Franklin, Wi and is produced in the same factory as Aqueon/AGA in 2006

So ends the legacy of a great Tank. (TAPS being played in the background)

Edited by ARMYVET

On 6/30/2021 at 3:37 AM, tonyjuliano said:

That leaves Marineland for the standard, plastic framed tanks.

Go to Marineland's website and look at the reviews on their own page....littered with seam and tank failures all in the larger sizes and all after it was bought out by another company who obviously doesn't give 2 craps about their reputation.  

If you want larger tanks you have no choice in my opinion but to have it custom made and pay the price.  You either pay upfront for better quality tank....or pay for the remodeling of your house when it lets go.  You know which way I'm going. 

On 6/30/2021 at 7:34 AM, ARMYVET said:

Marineland's website and look at the reviews on their own page....littered with seam and tank failures all in the larger sizes and all after it was bought out by another company who obviously doesn't give 2 craps

I have a sneaking suspicion that what’s happening with tank manufacture is what currently exists in the bicycle industry.  

If you buy a bicycle today, high end - low end - or anything in between, it’s more than likely built by one of 3 companies.  One in Taiwan, one in China and another in India.  These 3 concerns are responsible for over 95% of all bikes sold worldwide.

Everybody just has them build to spec and then they slap their brand on it.

Edited by tonyjuliano