Pacific Northwest Folks - How Are Your Fish?

Patrick_G

I live south of Seattle but I’ve been out of two for the last ten days and don’t get home until late tomorrow. I’m worried about my tanks and my pond. It hit 100 in my area and I see it was 110 in Portland. I know most of us don’t have AC. How are your fish doing? 

I've been doing OK, until the past few hours. My freezer fell behind on making ice. I've been melting it faster than I can make it and the stores are out. I, just now, resorted to evaporative cooling - I hosed down the outside of the house. 93° in here. Fish are still at 79°.

Edited by Frank
  • Sad 2

Yeah my hot room tank is 90. my living room tank (the room is currently 90) is about 80 now but I've been managing it a bit. 

My half barrel tub is about 84f even know it's 110 outside.

Edited by CT_
  • Like 1

I am a little north of Seattle and Right now its about 100 earlier it was 108 I am a little north of Seattle. My fish are doing fine, since I am a beginner I choose relatively hardy and adaptable fish so that might be helping. Right now my 29 gallon is around 83 degrees I googled my fish it is a little hot for them but they should be okay. I don't have AC and my house is around 86 degrees. I hope The stores get some back in stock soon the only place that had them was home depot in Kennewick but I called them 30 minutes later and they had sold out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My garage has stayed high 70s low 80s. Ponds last night after sun went down we’re in the mid to high 80s. I did water changes on the garage tanks and the ponds and put in a couple degrees cooler water and everyone has an extra way to oxygenate the tank. I lost my Endlers that were in a tub pond last weekend. I’d already moved the ricefish. Only fish that seem to be honestly thriving are my honey gouramis. There’s a bubble nest remarkably. 
In Central Oregon we usually have pretty temperate summers 80-90s but with climate change I may do more labyrinth fishes - wild bettas maybe next summer as the usual suspects may not be able to handle this if it’s going to happen every year now. 

• Like 1

No AC at home, reached at least 104 at sea level and my interior house temperature made it to 95 yesterday...I did a big water change in all my tanks in the morning before I bugged out for work.  Came home at 10:30PM with the house still at 88 degrees and tank temps ~85-86 degrees.  11 nano tanks...Only one in trouble (furthest into the interior) with a "ring" around the top 1/2" of the rim of snails/limpets/flatworms/shrimp.  Lost 3 Neo shrimp in the tank, but another 25% water change and some gas exchange via extra airstone/pump seems to have pulled everybody back happy and into to their normal places this AM.

• Sad 3

In Vancouver BC and it's hot! I've turned off my lights and am running an extra air stone in my tanks and outdoor pond. Daily small water changes with cooler water.

I've moved my tub pond into the shade on my balcony. I did see medaka fry today so I think everyone is surviving!

• Like 3