Reticulated Hillstream Loach

Rochelle

Good evening,

I found a baby loach in my aquarium.  First of all, how exciting!  I didn't even know I had both male and females.  My question is, how many eggs do they lay and how often?  I purchased them to do general cleaning and because they are different looking.  I don't know what to do with the babies. other than let them be and hope they don't have to many.  They are in a 70 gallon but it is very heavily planted and not set up like one would for these guys so it may be just a one time thing?

HSL 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, but that is such a pain for me!  I just hope they don't do what my Corydora's do, and fill the tank up with nothing but!  Not much on the internet about it but they are amazing little creatures to watch for sure!  Congrats on the Oto's!  I hear they are a difficult one to breed.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:06 AM, Rochelle said:

Good evening,

I found a baby loach in my aquarium.  First of all, how exciting!  I didn't even know I had both male and females.  My question is, how many eggs do they lay and how often?  I purchased them to do general cleaning and because they are different looking.  I don't know what to do with the babies. other than let them be and hope they don't have to many.  They are in a 70 gallon but it is very heavily planted and not set up like one would for these guys so it may be just a one time thing?

HSL 1.jpg

Look on the positive side you have breed something that a lot of people can't get to breed I don't think you will be over run with fry you might get the odd one that nothing to worry about

• Like 1

Nice. surprise fry get me so pumped everytime. Id bet with enough other fish or snails in the tank its more like a 1 or 2 eggs survive per spawn than an huge populstion of hillstreams. If plants are thick and fry get excessive id try to thin the thicker plants a bit and as a result limit the ability for as many eggs or fry to avoid predation within them.