HOB Filter change on my 20G High

I purchased my 20G high as a kit. It came with a aqueon filter that is meh.. but its what I had, so I used it. Now that I have a TON of guppies and the plants are flourishing, it struggles to keep up. The intake filter get clogged, and because the back section is so narrow its hard to get a good amount of media in there which I have some in there now with a coarse sponge but it was a struggle to get it to fit.

I purchased an aqueon filter for my 40 G months ago, and it just didn't work for the tank the water outflow was too high and water was getting on the glass lid. I had to take it off and put a Seachem Tidal 55 on there now working fine. I had this Aqueon 50 just sitting around that I thought.. hmm maybe try it on the 20G. So I did. I had to put some coarse sponge in the specialty filter pad section with filter floss to slow the power a bit. They don't seem to mind it.. they are all swimming around and not getting "blown" around. the corydora seem to like it the most (I think) they are swimming in front of the tank where the flow is.. is that okay? or are they trying to tell me something?

Is that too much of a filter? will the outflow be too much? I also have a seachem tidal 35 that is brand new if the Aqueon is too much. 

What do you guys think??? 

On 6/28/2021 at 5:14 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

Is that too much of a filter? will the outflow be too much? I also have a seachem tidal 35 that is brand new if the Aqueon is too much. 

IMO, there is no such thing as “too much filtration”, flow (current) is another story.

But this can be altered by any number of means (as you did with the foam).

• Thanks 1

The Albino Cory's are always derpy.. but today they are really swimming around quite a bit. I installed the new filter Saturday. My Nitrates are at 40 but I added too much easy green (did that in the 5 gallon last time ugh). The guppies are able to swim at the top where the flow is stronger with no issues including the larger fry. The shrimp are fine as well. When I first turned it on with out the additional sponge the guppies could not swim against it.. but they all come to the top to get food, and are fine. no one is getting blown into the glass wall. I keep my water level high.. to keep the noise down.. 

I must admit my water is SUPER clear! 

I have to wonder if the Cory's like the higher flow better.. especially the ablino they appear to be having a blast in there. They are acting like they have a circulation pump. I always see those in salt water tanks.. and the fish swim against it all the time.