How to remove tannins from tank

Cohen

On 6/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, laritheloud said:

Either Purigen or Carbon will work to remove tannins from the water. I've tried Purigen and I actually don't like it very much -- it keeps releasing powdery white resin particles into the water, in my experience, even after rinsing extremely vigorously.

Is it fish safe

On 6/27/2021 at 3:26 PM, Cohen said:

Is it fish safe

I mean, my fish are fine after using purigen for a month and a half. I'm not sure why it kept releasing powdery white resin particles, and I've since replaced it with regular old fine filter floss. If you use an activated carbon filter it will remove the tannins from the water, and I know that is totally safe and won't release any powdered resin into the water column.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:27 PM, laritheloud said:

I mean, my fish are fine after using purigen for a month and a half. I'm not sure why it kept releasing powdery white resin particles, and I've since replaced it with regular old fine filter floss. If you use an activated carbon filter it will remove the tannins from the water, and I know that is totally safe and won't release any powdered resin into the water column.

If I did use one of these things how do I introduced into the tank, I heard to use the purging in a filter but I only use a sponge filter in my 20 gallon tank, can I just leave it on the surface of my tank water

• 3 months later...

best way to removed stained water is, wait for it.... water changes. there is no instant way to remove the color from water, as whatever is in the tank releasing them is still there, and it is just something that takes time before the piece of wood or whatever is causing it, quits releasing its tannins/color.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:36 PM, Cohen said:

I only use a sponge filter in my 20 gallon tank, can I just leave it on the surface of my tank water

Easiest and cheapest option is to do water changes more often. Depending on how long the wood has been soaking, the tannins should clear over time.

You could also buy a cheap hang on back filter and load it with activated carbon and filter floss (poly-fil) which will really help clear up your water.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, lefty o said:

best way to removed stained water is, wait for it.... water changes. there is no instant way to remove the color from water, as whatever is in the tank releasing them is still there, and it is just something that takes time before the piece of wood or whatever is causing it, quits releasing its tannins/color.

Totally forgot I had a photo of when I had to remove tannins from a tank.  

you can pretty much clear up a blackwater tank in about 24 hours with purigen 

The bag on the left was one of two bags I had used and was the second bag after 24hrs, the bag on the right was recharging and almost recharged. 

IMG_5065.jpeg