Pizza

Fish Folk

On 7/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Relativity defines everything we see and experience. Good and bad require each other to exist. Nothing and something quite literally create each other. Everything is defined by it’s opposite. Nothing exists without something to relate it to.

But Relativity defines our experiences, far beyond physics and mathematics…

It was cold,  -9* cold, and dark. We just moved from Las Vegas to Boulder CO. The movers were 14 hours late. Apparently these guys cut geography class in high school as they decided to ‘take a shortcut through Wyoming’ !  I may sound old here but a paper map could have avoided an extra 800 miles of driving! 

Alone, cold, dark, hungry, only my 2 chihuahuas, Zeus, Norman & myself.  We had just driven 16 hours from Vegas to Boulder only to wait another 14 hours for the movers to arrive and then start moving us in. All told, we’d been up and physically working for 30+ hours.

After 30+ some hours, and not knowing much about where I now am, and it being in the middle of the night, I ordered a delivered pizza from a local chain I had never heard of called Round Table.

Sometimes there are good reasons to fast! This was one of them! It could best be described as a large, flat dinner roll covered in spiced  ketchup with some dubiously organic white topping asserting the title of “cheese”. A claim I doubt to this day!

Not being up for 30+ hours, nor the -9* cold, nor the pure exhaustion of moving could make me eat this dreck.

Zeus and Norman were no doubt as fatigued and hungry as I was. I decided I’d rather go to sleep than force down this dreck so I put the box with the 7 remaining slices on the floor and went to bed.

In the morning, the pie and box were gone. No one was there to clean it up? I looked everywhere.  I mean, everywhere, wherever they dragged it, ants would soon follow so I had better find it and dispose of it.

All I was able to recover was a piece of the box top with some of the little man saying “You’ve tried the rest, now try the best!”.

They ate the pizza AND the box!

I suppose the moral of this story could be that taste is Relative!!!???   

Ask Zeus and Norman...woof.

They could have eaten the "pizza: to get to the cardboard, or maybe they were trying to get the taste out of their mouths.🤣

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Just got slices from an excellent local family-owned Pizzeria.

0B6AA4BB-56ED-41CE-8290-4597C02F9410.jpeg.d2eb2cf50fbf7394a05e860e1956c3c9.jpeg

Two slices of Vodka already consumed, two remaining … plus the Margarita slices and Nona slice … I’m telling you, this would solve 99% of world problems if everyone would just settle down and enjoy.

I have many more things to say, but am reasonably sure I’d be in trouble for hyper-eulogizing. *sigh* 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I drove 3 HOURS, to the 2ND LOCATION, of THE WORLD'S 1ST PIZZERIA...

OK, the last claim is already disputed! 

Apparently these two pizzerias have been arguing over who is first for about 150 years! 

Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba was a food stand in Naples in 1738. It eventually became the world's first pizzeria in 1830. However, it was subsequently closed for 49 YEARS after 1830 and reopened in 1889! 

It reopened later, obviously with new people and they assumed the original's name. 

L'antica Pizzeria da Michele (below) opened in 1870 and has been in continuous operation ever since. 

So, I guess one could say that Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba is the world's first pizzeria, but L'antica Pizzeria da Michele is the world's oldest pizzeria?  

I have no idea what's true! 

In either case, they are both VPN compliant. The official verification requirements to officially call yourself a "pizza" (thank you @Fish Folk)!

V.P.N.   249710109_SNAG-0000(2).jpg.22bcc504397c142ad5944506d82c3bdc.jpg

Well, if the history above is correct, and I have no idea if it truly is, this is from what is (hopefully) "the world's oldest pizzeria's", first location outside of Naples in Los Angeles:

7.jpg.008376e063f557a7499b29e3e8c5fde5.jpg16.jpg.c9b9a5f03aecd634cff8a2a714f189f1.jpg   

15.jpg.3015a10bcbe3bb9a901d72755b0c148d.jpg 

I loved them and the entrees were spot-on authentic stuff.  But on a totally subjective note, I feel that time has improved the pizza itself. 

Even L'antica Pizzeria da Michele itself ventured away from convention with the smaller pie in the pictures. As stoically traditional as this place is, the small pizza is a variation on the theme. 

A classic Margherita is half baked, then flash frozen. The frozen pie is then quickly deep fried, and it resembles a pizza made on a zeppole if that's imaginable! And then it's finished with fior de latte, wow.

Only your cardiologist would not like this!

But I dunno, perhaps it's because I grew up on NY style or that I've lived in both cities, but I still prefer New Yawwwwwk and Chicaaaaaaaago styles to "a fanabola" (sorry dad!)!

Edited by dasaltemelosguy
Bad link
  • Love 4

On 1/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I drove 3 HOURS, to the 2ND LOCATION, of THE WORLD'S 1ST PIZZERIA...

OK, the last claim is already disputed! 

Apparently these two pizzerias have been arguing over who is first for about 150 years! 

Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba was a food stand in Naples in 1738. It eventually became the world's first pizzeria in 1830. However, it was subsequently closed for 49 YEARS after 1830 and reopened in 1889! 

It reopened later, obviously with new people and they assumed the original's name. 

L'antica Pizzeria da Michele (below) opened in 1870 and has been in continuous operation ever since. 

So, I guess one could say that Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba is the world's first pizzeria, but L'antica Pizzeria da Michele is the world's oldest pizzeria?  

I have no idea what's true! 

In either case, they are both VPN compliant. The official verification requirements to officially call yourself a "pizza" (thank you @Fish Folk)!

V.P.N.   249710109_SNAG-0000(2).jpg.22bcc504397c142ad5944506d82c3bdc.jpg

Well, if the history above is correct, and I have no idea if it truly is, this is from what is (hopefully) "the world's oldest pizzeria's", first location outside of Naples in Los Angeles:

7.jpg.008376e063f557a7499b29e3e8c5fde5.jpg16.jpg.c9b9a5f03aecd634cff8a2a714f189f1.jpg   

15.jpg.3015a10bcbe3bb9a901d72755b0c148d.jpg 

I loved them and the entrees were spot-on authentic stuff.  But on a totally subjective note, I feel that time has improved the pizza itself. 

Even L'antica Pizzeria da Michele itself ventured away from convention with the smaller pie in the pictures. As stoically traditional as this place is, the small pizza is a variation on the theme. 

A classic Margherita is half baked, then flash frozen. The frozen pie is then quickly deep fried, and it resembles a pizza made on a zeppole if that's imaginable! And then it's finished with fior de latte, wow.

Only your cardiologist would not like this!

But I dunno, perhaps it's because I grew up on NY style or that I've lived in both cities, but I still prefer New Yawwwwwk and Chicaaaaaaaago styles to "a fanabola" (sorry dad!)!

@dasaltemelosguy you are officially a great hero of mine!!

• Love 1

That is a fine looking pizza, @dasaltemelosguy!

On 1/20/2022 at 5:38 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

authentic stuff

I know thew above quote was taken out of context, but it segues to my story, so I went with it.  I was just thinking of this thread last night while eating Punch pizza here in Minnesota (forgot to take photos of the incredible pies, and they disappeared to the last slice very quickly) and reading a news article on the "pizza effect" (which I now can't find of course).  I'd not been aware of this tendency to seek "authenticity" in some aspect of culture in an adopted country of the home country when the importance of the aspect only really emerged in the adopted country - and pizza is the poster item.  Apparently, pizza only rose to prominence here in the States and then upon the befuddlement of the native population in Italy about why this thing was successful elsewhere, it was adopted with zeal in the home country.  I thought of this thread and laughed at myself a bit for things I said here and elsewhere. 

All of that of course in no way detracts from my love of Neapolitan style pizza, even if NY (or at least the eastern seaboard of the States) is likely the actual home modern "pizza" as we know it.  It's just funny how these things shape up as we seek a connection to "where we are from".  I see this in Minnesota all the time with the claims "Scandinavian" cultural associations here.  A friend of mine from Norway was visiting me just before COVID hit and he was fascinated by what he called "the shards of Scandinavian culture stored in a time capsule from the 1880's that survive".  It would seem much of what is thought of as Scandinavian here, has either never been so in the form we see it here, or at least has not been for over 100 years.  It's funny the connections we seek.  Though I'll still be eating Punch pizza here by preference, I just can't be snotty about now.  😜 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 1/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

That is a fine looking pizza, @dasaltemelosguy!

I know thew above quote was taken out of context, but it segues to my story, so I went with it.  I was just thinking of this thread last night while eating Punch pizza here in Minnesota (forgot to take photos of the incredible pies, and they disappeared to the last slice very quickly) and reading a news article on the "pizza effect" (which I now can't find of course).  I'd not been aware of this tendency to seek "authenticity" in some aspect of culture in an adopted country of the home country when the importance of the aspect only really emerged in the adopted country - and pizza is the poster item.  Apparently, pizza only rose to prominence here in the States and then upon the befuddlement of the native population in Italy about why this thing was successful elsewhere, it was adopted with zeal in the home country.  I thought of this thread and laughed at myself a bit for things I said here and elsewhere. 

All of that of course in no way detracts from my love of Neapolitan style pizza, even if NY (or at least the eastern seaboard of the States) is likely the actual home modern "pizza" as we know it.  It's just funny how these things shape up as we seek a connection to "where we are from".  I see this in Minnesota all the time with the claims "Scandinavian" cultural associations here.  A friend of mine from Norway was visiting me just before COVID hit and he was fascinated by what he called "the shards of Scandinavian culture stored in a time capsule from the 1880's that survive".  It would seem much of what is thought of as Scandinavian here, has either never been so in the form we see it here, or at least has not been for over 100 years.  It's funny the connections we seek.  Though I'll still be eating Punch pizza here by preference, I just can't be snotty about now.  😜 

Punch makes great Margherita Pizzas. I loved eating there when I lived in Twin Cities one summer years ago.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

A friend of mine from Norway was visiting me just before COVID hit and he was fascinated by what he called "the shards of Scandinavian culture stored in a time capsule from the 1880's that survive".  It would seem much of what is thought of as Scandinavian here, has either never been so in the form we see it here, or at least has not been for over 100 years.

Excellent observations! We live in northern Appalachia. There’s shards of the Scots / Irish / Welsh here that’s been  “time-capsuled” as well. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 7:42 AM, Fish Folk said:

There’s shards of the Scots / Irish / Welsh here that’s been  “time-capsuled” as well.

That's interesting!  I have a sneaking suspicion there is probably a whole filed of study about this sort of thing, and I'll admit, my interest is piqued. 

Reminds me a bit of this BBC article.

Sorry.  Back to your regularly scheduled pizza talk...  😁

• Haha 2

@Patrick_G and @Fish Folk, you're both correct. A Focacciaphile worth his salt will travel any distance to try what he's never had.

@OnlyGenusCaps, The Pizza Effect is really interesting! I would expect no less from you! That certainly occurs in so many instances, but I never knew it had a name.

Well, as long as we're talking science definitions:

Focacciaphilia is the obsession with finding great pizza at all costs. 
Focacciaddiction is condition afflicting anyone who would write what I just wrote.
Focacciaphobia is the fear that you live with a Focacciaphile.
Fogettaboutit is when your spouse demands you stop talking about pizza. 
Focacciafiling is when you didn't stop, and you get divorce papers in the mail. 
Focacciafat is the weight you gain when you cook nothing but pizza because you live alone because you ate nothing but pizza. 

Source: 🍺🍕

• Haha 3

On 1/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

@Patrick_G and @Fish Folk, you're both correct. A Focacciaphile worth his salt will travel any distance to try what he's never had.

@OnlyGenusCaps, The Pizza Effect is really interesting! I would expect no less from you! That certainly occurs in so many instances, but I never knew it had a name.

Well, as long as we're talking science definitions:

Focacciaphilia is the obsession with finding great pizza at all costs. 
Focacciaddiction is condition afflicting anyone who would write what I just wrote.
Focacciaphobia is the fear that you live with a Focacciaphile.
Fogettaboutit is when your spouse demands you stop talking about pizza. 
Focacciafiling is when you didn't stop, and you get divorce papers in the mail. 
Focacciafat is the weight you gain when you cook nothing but pizza because you live alone because you ate nothing but pizza. 

Source: 🍺🍕

World: “What IS the deal with pizza??”

Focacciaphile: “Hold my slice…”

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 12:51 PM, Streetwise said:

I asked a local Vermont restaurant owner about his favorite pizza spots, and he mentioned this place in Providence, RI:

https://casertapizzeria.com

I think @Fish Folk would approve!

On 6/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, Fish Folk said:

Just looking at the pies there…

4D61D4C1-32DB-40A6-9541-EF85695DE881.jpeg.3a480c921dd073aea4ab9ce135b50599.jpeg

Looks like they make a good Nonna pizza. San marzano tomatoes, I trust.

Oh wow, those look incredible! I never knew about this place. You're hard pressed to get a decent Nonna (or even a NY) here in SoCal. Anyone ever try Al Forno in Providence? On yet another pizzatrek, I drove there and back from NJ in 1 day for this pie! But that was 30 years ago!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Oh wow, those look incredible! I never knew about this place. You're hard pressed to get a decent Nonna (or even a NY) here in SoCal. Anyone ever try Al Forno in Providence? On yet another pizzatrek, I drove there and back from NJ in 1 day for this pie! But that was 30 years ago!

I would say it looks worth the trip!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:42 AM, Fish Folk said:

Excellent observations! We live in northern Appalachia. There’s shards of the Scots / Irish / Welsh here that’s been  “time-capsuled” as well. 

My academic mentor is Scots-Irish, born in Appalachia but raised in SoCal. Married a sicilian, so he's a curmudgeon with a taste for very good Italian food and cappachino. He brought me cannoli once from a trip to Brooklyn all the way to VA... better than silver to this viking descendant!

• Haha 2