Been doing water changes but ammonia levels are not going down

__Calvin

What size tank is it How long has the tank been setup is it heavily planted what's your stocking level what substrate are you using have you tested your tap water for ammonia

Edited by Colu

On 6/26/2021 at 3:28 PM, Colu said:

What size tank is it How long has the tank been setup is it heavily planted what's your stocking level what substrate are you using have you tested your tap water for ammonia

Hi! It’s a 29 gallon. I got it somewhat recently and I let it cycle, I think I just added too many fish to quickly and over fed a bit. it’s not heavily planted, just a few plants here and there, I have sand and pebbles for my substrate. I have also tested my tap water, and the ammonia levels in the tap are very minimal 

What I would do is small daily water add prime to detoxify the ammonia add some quick growing floating plants like water lettuce or Amazonian frogbit or some  stem plants like Hornwort or Elodea if you have spare sponge filter with cycled media you could take from another tank to help speed things up and reduce feeding till your ammonia levels go down

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, Randall from Texas said:

What are your parameters and stocking on that 29? If it's new and not cycled for your stock level you could be changing out your bacterial bloom you need. And with any ammonia in your tap water you're going to want to do few water changes as possible.

All my other water parameters look fine. I let it cycle for about 3 days before adding fish, but I’m believing I should’ve waited a bit longer. I think I should’ve also just added a few fish at a time, I’ve had a small 5 gallon tank for many years, so this big of a step up was like learning how to start an aquarium all over again.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:48 PM, __Calvin said:

All my other water parameters look fine. I let it cycle for about 3 days before adding fish, but I’m believing I should’ve waited a bit longer. I think I should’ve also just added a few fish at a time, I’ve had a small 5 gallon tank for many years, so this big of a step up was like learning how to start an aquarium all over again.

3 days isn't long enough for your tank to cycle before adding fish you probably had your cycle stall and it's starting to re cycle

Edited by Colu

On 6/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, __Calvin said:

I'm glad you jumped in on the upgrade. We'll get you through it.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Randall from Texas said:

Ok. I would recommend a quick forum search on the nitrogen cycle. Or someone that has the link handy can send it to you. Unless you put one of your filters from another tank you don't have a cycled aquarium.

Yeah, I might be able to put a filter from my other tank in there

On 6/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Randall from Texas said:

Ok. I would recommend a quick forum search on the nitrogen cycle. Or someone that has the link handy can send it to you. Unless you put one of your filters from another tank you don't have a cycled aquarium.

Thanks for the help. Good learning to experience I suppose.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 5:23 PM, __Calvin said:

Hi! Recently my tank has had a pretty major ammonia spike. I’ve been doing everything I can. I’ve been doing 50% water changes every day, and doing everything I can, yet my ammonia levels aren’t going down.

Have you checked your tap water ammonia levels? 

• Sad 1

If you have the ability use a large tub to split your fish that way the ammonia being produced is diluted until you get it under control.  You will have to do lots of testing and water changes on that as well but it will be safer for your fish and won’t go hyper critical as quickly.  Unconventional but you said you added too many fish. I helped my niece this way when she did.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you have the ability use a large tub to split your fish that way the ammonia being produced is diluted until you get it under control.  You will have to do lots of testing and water changes on that as well but it will be safer for your fish and won’t go hyper critical as quickly.  Unconventional but you said you added too many fish. I helped my niece this way when she did.

You need to have at least a sponge filter and aeration for the tub