Is easy carbon just an algae inhibitor?

Yes it's just an algae inhibitor.

Some tests have shown that MAYBE some of the carbon products like it provide is usable by plants but in order for it to have a noticeable impact on growth the amount you'd have to dose would be lethal to any fish or inverts in the tank. 

Edited by ChefConfit
  • Like 1

Yep just an inhibitor. I say good on Cory for stating that as well. Other companies labeling might lead you to believe it's a Co2 replacement. My sister thinks it is and she won't listen to me because she might be a karen and she knows everything. It's still a very useful product if you have an algae problem. Just be careful and research what plants you have as gluteraldehyde is bad for some of our plants.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, ChefConfit said:

Yes it's just an algae inhibitor.

Some tests have shown that MAYBE some of the carbon products like it provide is usable by plants but in order for it to have a noticeable impact on growth the amount you'd have to dose would be lethal to any fish or inverts in the tank. 

I dunno what the LDR is for glutaraldehyde-containing "liquid carbon" products is, but I can say with certainty that overdosing by a pretty hefty margin isn't enough to phase my fish... which I found out by accident. 

@Phantom240

It's pretty toxic stuff, but easy carbon is only 1.5% glutaraldehyde. 

It's more that it provides so little usable carbon to the plants that the dose to see growth rate increases from the carbon is insanely high. 

Here's a toxicity study for it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/go/tox025&ved=2ahUKEwiTwsn77r_xAhUxU98KHVM_BGYQFjACegQIChAC&usg=AOvVaw0H15xd0XIHWN9z2oe8f-S6