Jump to content

Casual aquatics
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ben Ellison said:

I feel that all feeder fish are a dumpster fire or diseases and parasites.  But I'm not sure that exact thing can be passed to them. I'm thinking  probably not  to a healthy fish because  it doesn't seem to spread in the tank.

Even  rose red minos there not gold fish. I’m guessing you don’t support feeding fish live feeder fish? I think if there not the overstocked ones you see at box store’s even local fish stores do many over filled barrels/tanks die of parasites but if you breed and raise feeders in proper space conditions it’s more humane. Not parasitic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait you saying get live bears put in with minnows and who ever don’t die breed as feeders ? 

2 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

My suggestion is you can get a 10 gallon and get a pair of live bearers and all the fish that aren’t up to far you can grow out and use a feeder fish not the most humane way but at least you know what you giving ur fish is healthy and eating good 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good rule of thumb only feed what appears to be healthy, this includes those who have genetic defects.  If it appears to have a bacterial, parsitical, or other ailment, then don't feed it.  If it appears to have anything that you second guess about, then don't feed it.   And only use live food that either you have raised or someone you trust have raised.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

A good rule of thumb only feed what appears to be healthy, this includes those who have genetic defects.  If it appears to have a bacterial, parsitical, or other ailment, then don't feed it.  If it appears to have anything that you second guess about, then don't feed it.   And only use live food that either you have raised or someone you trust have raised.  

 

2 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

A good rule of thumb only feed what appears to be healthy, this includes those who have genetic defects.  If it appears to have a bacterial, parsitical, or other ailment, then don't feed it.  If it appears to have anything that you second guess about, then don't feed it.   And only use live food that either you have raised or someone you trust have raised.  Wait you saying get live bears put in with minnows and who ever don’t die breed as feeders ? 

11 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

My suggestion is you can get a 10 gallon and get a pair of live bearers and all the fish that aren’t up to far you can grow out and use a feeder fish not the most humane way but at least you know what you giving ur fish is healthy and eating good 

 

2 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

A good rule of thumb only feed what appears to be healthy, this includes those who have genetic defects.  If it appears to have a bacterial, parsitical, or other ailment, then don't feed it.  If it appears to have anything that you second guess about, then don't feed it.   And only use live food that either you have raised or someone you trust have raised.  

Thanks appreciate that

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

feeder fish bought from stores aren’t a good idea for another reason as well: nutrients. stores typically feed feeders poorly or with low quality food. you always want to quarantine feeders and feed them very high quality foods for the few weeks in quarantine to make them a good option as food. its much easier to have your own colony you are breeding (livebearers work best for 99% of fish you feed live to) since you can control what food you are putting in. the food/nutrients you put into the feeders is what you are going to be putting into the fish being fed those feeders. 

 

as a sidenote goldfish make terrible feeders. id do guppies for smaller feeders and platies/mollys/swordtails if you need to feed larger fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yannachka said:

feeder fish bought from stores aren’t a good idea for another reason as well: nutrients. stores typically feed feeders poorly or with low quality food. you always want to quarantine feeders and feed them very high quality foods for the few weeks in quarantine to make them a good option as food. its much easier to have your own colony you are breeding (livebearers work best for 99% of fish you feed live to) since you can control what food you are putting in. the food/nutrients you put into the feeders is what you are going to be putting into the fish being fed those feeders. 

 

as a sidenote goldfish make terrible feeders. id do guppies for smaller feeders and platies/mollys/swordtails if you need to feed larger fish.

Thanks so much and that’s exactly what I started doing I got rose red minnows bought a 100 of them separated between 2 tanks and feeding food that I feed my actual fish and they was bought for my oscars and bichir 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wisnasky-tank said:

Thanks so much and that’s exactly what I started doing I got rose red minnows bought a 100 of them separated between 2 tanks and feeding food that I feed my actual fish and they was bought for my oscars and bichir 

Ps don’t believe in buying gold fish as feeders

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would try to stay away from feeder fish as much as possible, not only can the fish possibly spread pathogens to your fish, but a diet of only feeders is not healthy for them. I have never came across an oscar that I could not get to eat pellets or flake foods. I would get them eating a couple good quality pellets or flake foods and give frozen foods as well, they'll go after mysis shrimp, bloodworms, etc.

If you want to feed them some live foods occasionally, I would get myself some guppies or endlers and set up a tank, can be a 10 gallon with some plants and let them go to town in there, and just catch some out when you want to feed the fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would try to stay away from feeder fish as much as possible, not only can the fish possibly spread pathogens to your fish, but a diet of only feeders is not healthy for them. I have never came across an oscar that I could not get to eat pellets or flake foods. I would get them eating a couple good quality pellets or flake foods and give frozen foods as well, they'll go after mysis shrimp, bloodworms, etc.

If you want to feed them some live foods occasionally, I would get myself some guppies or endlers and set up a tank, can be a 10 gallon with some plants and let them go to town in there, and just catch some out when you want to feed the fish.

They do not like pellets not that they won’t at them but they will waste them I’ll even try to not give them anything but pellets and not about it they will eat night crawlers that’s mostly what there diet is that’s why I was trying to treat them with a feeder fish I have also got them to eat a cricket well the female did male didn’t seem interested in it  so that’s why I got the red minnows and I have them quarantined gonna keep them on a good diet for a month before I try to feed to oscars and who knows I’m might have a dork fish that’s makes a tank mate out of there food but I’m guessing that won’t be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

They do not like pellets not that they won’t at them but they will waste them I’ll even try to not give them anything but pellets and not about it they will eat night crawlers that’s mostly what there diet is that’s why I was trying to treat them with a feeder fish I have also got them to eat a cricket well the female did male didn’t seem interested in it  so that’s why I got the red minnows and I have them quarantined gonna keep them on a good diet for a month before I try to feed to oscars and who knows I’m might have a dork fish that’s makes a tank mate out of there food but I’m guessing that won’t be the case.

you risk the fish having deficiencies if fed primarily feeders and earth worms. i would try some frozen foods like blood worms, shrimp, etc, most fish have no issues going to frozen foods. i'd soak them in some garlic (to make them a little more tasty and enticing for the fish) and some vitachem in tank water to defrost them. what pellets are you trying to feed? have you tried switching out the brands/type of pellet? it may just not like that specific food. i agree with the above poster that feeders should be a treat rather than a staple in the diet unless you are feeding a more nutrient dense fish like a gut-loaded livebearer. minnows don't really have too many nutrients to them either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...