Hey all,

At this time I've hit my maximum on aquarium realestate. I can't find a new spot to put an aquarium without driving the people I live with mad. 

At the same time, I'm also enjoying the fruits of breeding fish for profit, and I'd like to continue expanding that side of my hobby. My fish for profit tank is a 40B with a fancy strain of dumbo guppies that have been very prolific as well as some bristlenose plecos I've been growing out for a year that are on the cusp of sexual maturity. I'd like to add another strain of guppies to my profiteering set up, but I don't have room for even an extra ten gallon. So, my thinking is to either put a divider in the 40B or upgrade that 40B to a 55 I have sitting in storage with one or two dividers in that one.

I've been eyeing the dividers that Flip Aquatics sells, thick sponges designed to keep shrimp strains from cross breeding. I figure if they're good enough to keep baby shrimp from crossing over, it might be good enough to keep two strains of guppies from crossing in the same tank. So, my questions for the forum are:

What are your experiences with Flip Aquatics' tank divider? Can they be installed on a drained but not dry tank? Would they work with undergravel filters? Would they be effective in keeping fry from crossing over? Any alternatives to this product that would have a similar effect? Pictures of your setups would also be great. Thanks!

I believe they are the same foam as the matten filter they sell just without the hole for the tube. I would say drained not dry would work for install they are a very tight fit to the glass and would be less frustrating to install either without gravel or without gravel underneath the foam to get a best seal/ fry blocker benefit. Then just put the gravel back so there is gravel on each side of the foam and on top of the UG filter. Id guess undergravel would be fine. I wouldnt expect fry to be able to get through that foam to the other side it is pretty fine foam that stops shrimp. I would probably run the water level lower and below the top of the foam to limit the risk of jumping over the foam into the other side thst would be the risk I would be concerned for.

• Thanks 1

@Cory once mentioned why he didn't "care for" matten filters. And I believe that he said no matter how tight against the sides and top he could not keep fish from getting to the other side.  If your trying to keep them separated to prevent cross breeding that is a high risk that could potentially muddy the entire line.   One errant misbreed could render that female useless to the line for a few broods of fry since they store sperm. 

Guppies are live-bearing freshwater fish with internal fertilization in which females are able to store sperm arising from a single copulation for up to EIGHT successive reproductive cycles.

• Thanks 1

@SchmortyI know you cannot have any more tanks because "Upper Management" has declined to lease you the sq footage necessary.  Maybe you can do like I am doing and thats doing an outdoor pond.   I have just setup a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank to polyculture guppy/platty/cherry shrimp along with guppy grass.  Not sure where you are located but its worth some thought. I would be more than happy to share any info I can to help you. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 5:39 AM, ARMYVET said:

@Cory once mentioned why he didn't "care for" matten filters. And I believe that he said no matter how tight against the sides and top he could not keep fish from getting to the other side.  If your trying to keep them separated to prevent cross breeding that is a high risk that could potentially muddy the entire line.   One errant misbreed could render that female useless to the line for a few broods of fry since they store sperm. 

Guppies are live-bearing freshwater fish with internal fertilization in which females are able to store sperm arising from a single copulation for up to EIGHT successive reproductive cycles.

@ARMYVET I acknowledge it is risky and am aware of the genetics and reproductive modes of guppies. My thoughts on how to mitigate that risk are as follows:

1. Install the divider and move my existing strain to one side and observe for a few weeks to see if any make the crossing.

2. Utilize an albino strain of guppies where both the males and females look very distinct from my current strain to make picking out fish that manage to cross over easier. I know if an adult male gets over it's game over, but I can get a female out before she drops and I can pull fry before they reach maturity.

3. If I were to upgrade my tank to a 55 where I've got more length to divide the tank with, I had the idea to use two dividers to make a narrow central compartment as a sort of neutral zone. I'd then maybe put something like a Betta or a killifish in there to play guard dog. 

If they prove able to cross over with high frequency in my tests and/or I'm unable to upgrade to the three compartment 55, I'll just breed something else on the other side of the divide. Maybe I'll do swordtails or killies or something else.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, Schmorty said:

@ARMYVET I acknowledge it is risky and am aware of the genetics and reproductive modes of guppies. My thoughts on how to mitigate that risk are as follows:

1. Install the divider and move my existing strain to one side and observe for a few weeks to see if any make the crossing.

2. Utilize an albino strain of guppies where both the males and females look very distinct from my current strain to make picking out fish that manage to cross over easier. I know if an adult male gets over it's game over, but I can get a female out before she drops and I can pull fry before they reach maturity.

3. If I were to upgrade my tank to a 55 where I've got more length to divide the tank with, I had the idea to use two dividers to make a narrow central compartment as a sort of neutral zone. I'd then maybe put something like a Betta or a killifish in there to play guard dog. 

If they prove able to cross over with high frequency in my tests and/or I'm unable to upgrade to the three compartment 55, I'll just breed something else on the other side of the divide. Maybe I'll do swordtails or killies or something else.

Well if you go with the 55...you could poly culture platty or swordtails with the guppies without dividers and they will not cross breed. Add in some cherry shrimp and you have the trifecta....and if you really want to stretch your real estate for the most dollar for your space....grow guppy grass and mystery snails.  get all of that to multiply like rabbits and JACKPOT.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, ARMYVET said:

@SchmortyI know you cannot have any more tanks because "Upper Management" has declined to lease you the sq footage necessary.  Maybe you can do like I am doing and thats doing an outdoor pond.   I have just setup a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank to polyculture guppy/platty/cherry shrimp along with guppy grass.  Not sure where you are located but its worth some thought. I would be more than happy to share any info I can to help you. 

Haha, I'm already running two 100 gallon Rubbermaids. However, in my climate I'll be lucky if I can overwinter white clouds, which is what I'm testing this year. I love the idea, but I need to be able to bring whatever I breed that can't overwinter back indoors in the autumn, and I'm faced with the same dilemma.

On 6/26/2021 at 11:31 AM, Schmorty said:

Haha, I'm already running two 100 gallon Rubbermaids. However, in my climate I'll be lucky if I can overwinter white clouds, which is what I'm testing this year. I love the idea, but I need to be able to bring whatever I breed that can't overwinter back indoors in the autumn, and I'm faced with the same dilemma.

I understand...hmmm let me throw this out to you.....for not alot of money...you could build a small greenhouse for the ponds.  Put in heaters and your good.  Just big enough to enclose the ponds and keep the cold out and the heaters will allow you to keep your fish outdoors.  You can use the double payne clear plastic sheeting from home depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunlite-24-in-x-96-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Multiwall-Roof-Panel-132506/202091947

Little by little the greenhouse  could be expanded and more tubs added as needed.

Warming is so much easier than my problem...I have to find a way to cool my pond.  The water temps get up to 90 here in South Florida.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, ARMYVET said:

I understand...hmmm let me throw this out to you.....for not alot of money...you could build a small greenhouse for the ponds.  Put in heaters and your good.  Just big enough to enclose the ponds and keep the cold out and the heaters will allow you to keep your fish outdoors.  You can use the double payne clear plastic sheeting from home depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunlite-24-in-x-96-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Multiwall-Roof-Panel-132506/202091947

Little by little the greenhouse  could be expanded and more tubs added as needed.

Warming is so much easier than my problem...I have to find a way to cool my pond.  The water temps get up to 90 here in South Florida.

I'd love to do this when I get into a more permanent living situation, but at this point, this unfortunately isn't an option. Thank you for the suggestion, though. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks!

I use matten filters as tank dividers. My experience with fish and shrimp crossing sides has not been that they squeeze around the edges but that they explore and then find their way through the pvc pipe. Even though the gap around the airstone inside is small, I've been surprised to see what has found its way through. I stop this now by putting a pvc straight coupler fitting onto the bottom of the intake with a coarse mesh secured over the opening. Still allows water through but not fish. The mesh can eventually clog but the coupler slides off easily so I can rinse it.

I prefer a matten over a solid block of foam because I like consistently moving water between both sides of the divider. I also usually put a second airstone on the intake side of the tank to prevent surface biofilm.

Edit: the other major reason I like the matten as a divider is that it also doubles as all the bio filter you would likely ever need. It reduces clutter in the open spaces and makes cleaning and netting easier.

Edited by Lowells Fish Lab