Vader the Rescue Betta | The Walstad Aquarium

I rescued a betta off of Kijiji today! I named him DarthVader, but Vader for short! 

The original owner said "I always forget to feed him, and he's such a pain" But the betta is super cute! It was free too, so I had to take it home. It came with a bowfront 3 gallon aquarium, gravel and decor. I have decided to keep the decor in the aquarium until I can get a light and plants for the aqaurium. I will be switching out the gravel shortly though. 

I have been wanting to setup a walstad aquarium for the LONGEST time. And after reading through most of diana walstads books I think I'm ready. I want to try and use plants that I already have (hygrophillia compact, salvania, pogostemon stellatus octopus) And then I will be ordering more plants shortly. I am just waiting to purchase that light. I wish I had a window to put it by because then I could use natural light

After getting the aquarium I replaced the gravel and did a 100% waterchange. Then added the substrate (1inch of soil, 1 inch of gravel).

I have a temporary light, but its suppeer crap 

image.png.e68310b610a77edfd748b7d7c9d67695.png

image.png

Also please dont tell hugo about the new betta, he cant think I am cheating on him.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 11
  • Love 3

On 6/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, GameCzar said:

He's a beauty!  How could you forget to feed that handsome lad?

Thats exactly what I thought! He's a glutton too, he loves food more then any other fish I have kept. Probably because he hasn't eaten in a month, but still cute.

On 6/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, Patrick_G said:

Congrats, crowntails are sooo cool! I think he’s going to love the natural style tank! 

I won't lie, I'm fan of most crowntails but I do like this one quite a lot! 

• Like 2

I dig him!  We have a chrome silver halfmoon with a black head named "The Mandalorian" (named before the episode aired that gave Mando's read name) that lives with a colony of blue dream shrimp and red racer Nerites "Boba Fett" and "Fennec Shand" 'natch.  Any other Star Wars nerd bettas out there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just orderd the new light off amazon. I decided to try out the JC&P Lights after the great reviews from bentley pascoe. Along with the light I also bought my first bit of brine shrimp eggs. Going to be hatching some out to see how much my fish like them. I haven't ordered any plants yet. I expect I'll be ordering some within the next week. Unfortantley the seller wont ship these plants until July 28th. 

Preparing to go away for a week or two in July. Going to be buying an autofeeder for the 10 gallon, and I think all the other fish should be fine. I live in Canada so no easyfeeder, but do you guys have any reccemendations? I was thinking maybe this one. I'm going to look further into the reviews and such before I buy one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to rescape this tank as I hated the substrate, the gravel was too big for plants. So I switched out the substrate orderd some plants and started planting!

I decided I wanted to go with a "Jungle look" so I got dwarf sag, and then also got some hornwort from a local aquarist. I also orderd a bolbitus, I'm not sure what tank I'll put the bolbitus in. I have wanted a bolbuitus for a while, so Its exciting that I finally have it.

The JC&P Light arrived as well!
image.png.b561d89e75b4fe7d69d8f10715bb41d9.png

image.png.c870432438b5fa38e65b5a80b8bc5f3c.png

I have lots of dwarf sag left, so not sure what I'll do with the rest. Perhaps plant some in Hugos Tank. For now they are in a bucket until I fully decide where I want it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

It hasn't even been a week and the dwarf sag has already started pearling! This is one of my first times that one of my plants were pearling.

The Dwarf Sag is doing great but the hornwort, not so much. Its shedding its leaves and looks like it maybe melting, thoughts?

20210731_223657.jpg.bb9ad41675412d424700eb3d9b08e468.jpg20210731_223730.jpg.930a85a24fec6824c63b577c871614f3.jpg

20210731_223742.jpg.0ddc1b0ade68dccd2a056ad802991521.jpg20210731_223734.jpg.57822105690717d5fede78e8d3500429.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm maybe the hornwort doesn’t have enough nutrients? It’s a pretty aggressive grower when it’s happy. When I put it in my tubs earlier this year, it dropped all its needles and was bare for about a month. Now it’s doing great! It’s a finicky plant.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, Hobbit said:

Hmm maybe the hornwort doesn’t have enough nutrients? It’s a pretty aggressive grower when it’s happy. When I put it in my tubs earlier this year, it dropped all its needles and was bare for about a month. Now it’s doing great! It’s a finicky plant.

Just tested the water, it has pleanty of nutrients:

40ppm Nitrates

0.25ppm Amonia and Nitrite

If it weren't for it being a walstad tank I would do a waterchange. I'm thinking of switching some hornwort around. The hornwort in all my other tanks are growing wonderfully, very green and lush. Just the one in this tank doesn't seem to be doing very well.

The dwarf sag is growing wonderfully though!

• Like 2

IMO, hornwort can be a very fast grower and steal all the food and then some times it just doesnt do well, its very finicky. have to keep up on feeding it, ive had it floating in my breeding tank and it out competes all the other plants for food, except for duck weed lol

• Like 1