How Far Is Your LFS?

I heard there's a really good store down in Birmingham, AL, about 90 minutes from me. But I haven't been because I really don't want to drive to Birmingham, lol (I have a Smart Car and driving on the highway is scary, not to mention I really have no other reason to make such a long trip). 

Big box store is ~5 minutes away. Nice for equipment and food, but I don't trust their livestock. They had a store wide ich outbreak a few months back, really put me off buying from them.

Closest lfs is about 20 minutes away, there's another 35 minutes in the opposite direction. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll drive the hour or so and go to "the big one" in Portland. They're definitely my preferred store, but Portland traffic is a real bummer these days.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:10 AM, alpenglow007 said:

How far is the closest decent LFS to you? I haven't found anything less than 2 hours from me and we live in a relatively populated area. 

900 miles ..... think I have you all beat.

I rely on Amazon, Aquarium Co-op, Aqua Huna and the USPS.

Theres one thats 5 minutes from my house! Its fairly small, but I like small fish stores better they always seem to have better staff. The only downside is that they are saltwater focused but they do have good selection of freshwater fish and plants, they quarintine their fish and everything! I always try to buy from them first! If they dont have the fish I am looking for I'll either hit up a big box store, or another lfs 20 minutes away (the lfs 20 minutes away isn't the best, which is why I almost perfer petsmart instead)

I have 7 stores that sell fish within 20 minutes.  1 department store, 4 big box pet stores, 2 are LFSs.  The closest should/could be the perfect LFS but has so many things working against it that I don't consider shopping there.

I have an amazing pet store just around the corner. They have a bit of everything but the owner is an avid fish person and is extremely knowledgeable. Goes out of the way to help with trouble shooting and fixing things like filters and lights. He has great fish stock, supplies and even a used section that he fully tests. He's plants are hit and miss for some reason but I have found a home based fish store about 15min from me and their plants are amazing in quality and price. They also have a nice fish stock. I do my best to spread the love to these to local Mom and Pop shops.