Caridina shrimp jumping ship :(

aquachris

Have a bunch of caridina shrimp that jumped ship the last few days.  Quite sad to see their dried little corpses around the tank.  Its got a pretty good lid too, but there is a cut out that the tubing goes in for the airline to sponge filter (It would typically be a cutout on the tank for a heater).  I've had them for over a month and it just happened after I moved the tank a little.. so frustrating.  Parameters are 0/0/<10 and about 7.0 ph, 180-120 KH and about 75 GH (Aquarium Coop test strips).  I use RODI water and mix in Brightwell Caridina GH+ and really do tiny water changes (1/2 a gallon - they are in a 5g tank every 2-3 weeks - so I've only done it twice so far).  

My recent change was adding some plants, I'm assuming that's where things went wrong :(, its the only major change (other than a physical move where I picked up the tank and put it in a diff spot, remember its only 5g lol).  

Anyhow this is my first experience with Caridina's... I had 8, now down to 3.  Put something to close the hole, but hoping they stay in and survive.  Any hints/tricks/thoughts are appreciated.

Edit: I do use Thrive-S for the plants.  But I don't use a lot and it doesnt have copper, which is why I use it for this tank.

Edited by aquachris

Do any of the plants reach the surface?  I had a tank with cherries in it and the day a frond of the Amazon sword broke the surface they used it to as a bridge to the tank lid where they then did an upside down "Spiderman crawl" across the moist lid surface to a cut out and attempted a mass jail break.  Little did they know that the warden here had been watching them from the couch the entire time.  Convicts recaptured before they breached the wall

On 6/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, NanoNano said:

Do any of the plants reach the surface?  I had a tank with cherries in it and the day a frond of the Amazon sword broke the surface they used it to as a bridge to the tank lid where they then did an upside down "Spiderman crawl" across the moist lid surface to a cut out and attempted a mass jail break.  Little did they know that the warden here had been watching them from the couch the entire time.  Convicts recaptured before they breached the wall

No they are pretty short yet.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:17 PM, eatyourpeas said:

They usually become jumpers when they don't like the water or something spooks them. Did you measure your parameters before or after? Were the plants quarantined? It is possible they may have had some pesticides and that caused the shrimp to flee.

Tested after they jumped ship. These were actually from other tanks I have. 

I bought ten cherry shrimp a while back and they were small so I put them in a breeder box to get some size on them. Three died after two weeks but the other seven were fine. Then they started to go missing. I have a fine grate over the outlet of the breeder box, but they were apparently squeezing their way past it into the big tank the breeder box hangs on. I now have one cherry shrimp still in the box. The ones that escaped into the bigger tank are unaccounted for. They could be alive and thriving (the tank is heavily planted with lots of java moss) or they could have become swordtail food. I'm leaning towards the latter. My swordtails are voracious which is why the shrimp were in the breeder box. The one shrimp still in the breeder box is very happy though. He gets all the food to himself now.

• Like 1