Can water be too hard for guppies and cherry shrimp?

Brandener

Hello everyone,

I’m getting some new guppies and cherry shrimp in. The tank I’m planning on putting them in is a 29g which has been up and running for over 2 years and seems to be cycled. I tested the water today, PH was 8.2 ,no ammonia or nitrite, and 10ppm nitrate with a GH of over 215.8ppm and a KH of 196.9ppm. I tested the KH and GH straight out of the tap and had the same readings. Is this too much hardness and too high of a ph in the water that would be harmful to the guppies and cherry shrimp???

My tap is liquid rock gh never below 250-300 lol. Even my water softener barely dents it. My ph 7.6-7.8 my neo shrimp and guppies thrive. My understanding guppies thrive up to 8.4-8.5?  I know I spiked once and my guppies loved it.  Not sure what shrimp can tolerate but I know slowly they can adjust to a lot. Depending on source water they were raised in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

My tap is liquid rock gh never below 250-300 lol. Even my water softener barely dents it. My ph 7.6-7.8 my neo shrimp and guppies thrive. My understanding guppies thrive up to 8.4-8.5?  I know I spiked once and my guppies loved it.  Not sure what shrimp can tolerate but I know slowly they can adjust to a lot. Depending on source water they were raised in. 

This has also been my experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My cherry shrimp live in about 258ppm and seem to do just fine. My snails were doing weird things and I put a wonder shell in there to see if it would help, it dissolved in less than a week. My hardness went up to about 340ppm and about a week later I had 2/10 cherrys die. I was looking online to find out why the sudden cause of death of two. I was  finding that if the calcium is too high the shrimp's shell is strong and they cant break it to molt.  I also found LRB aquatics where he referenced that he was not doing water changes, but only topping off with hard water and the shrimp were having a hard time molting. 

once I did two large water changes to get my parameters back to normal and have not lost another shrimp yet. I have seen lots of molts and I even have babies on the way. 

• Like 1