Filter Flow

Steve A

I am wondering how many gallons per hour I should use on my 80 gallon tank.

I am running 2 Penguin 375 Bio Filters that have been updated like Cory’s video suggested with the large pre filters on both of them and then I have the reservoirs filled with the foam.

With both filter running wide open I can cycle the 80 gallons 9.3 times per hour.  I can turn them down to 37 gallons per hour so it will cycle the 80 gallons .9 times per hour.

I am getting ready to make this a planted tank and then stock it with Gourami’s and Angle’s

TIA

On 6/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, lefty o said:

even at lowest setting with 2 of them, they will turn over the tank plenty. i like lots of filtration, but too much water movement can be troublesome for your fish too.

Thank you, I know that if I stir up the substrate I can clear the tank in less than 15 minutes if they are on high

On 6/24/2021 at 1:00 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think it depends on the stocking level. I have a planted 75 gallon with one 300gph HOB set on low flow. I have a medium level of planting and a small stocking level. It’s only three months old but so far water parameters are great. 

Thank you, so if your filter numbers are like mine you are cycling your tank about every 2 hours. 👍

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, Steve A said:

Thank you, so if your filter numbers are like mine you are cycling your tank about every 2 hours. 👍

My aquaclear doesn’t have much adjustment. I’m guessing it’s about 200gph on low. It’s still high enough to bend over some stem plants I have in the background. I also use sponge on the intake that slows the flow a bit but increases bio filtration a lot. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, tonyjuliano said:

The prevailing opinion is 4-5 times tank volume per hour. In the case of heavy bio loads, like a tankful of African cichlids, then 10x per hour is desired.

I prefer more filtration as opposed to less. 

That's good to know, that would let me run them at 1/2 after I get everything in it, right now there are no plants and just one clown loach in it.