Amazon Sword growing out of water column.

On 6/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hobbit said:

Ooo my sword plant is flowering right now! I’ll go measure the flowers.

They are about 1 inch!

Here’s a picture of the first flower:

88DFB049-EC2A-444F-80CB-5335108B177D.jpeg.649bfd9c458742c4e0be326dae748d58.jpeg

Whole plant:

D6D7195E-2350-4729-9568-1152DDE1E459.jpeg.cf7d561328f1419840b7a327817d03b4.jpeg

The flowers that bloomed later than this one were a bit bigger. Some had four petals instead of three.

It was sold as Echinodorus muricatus. Sword plant ‘Murica! 🇺🇸😁

Yep.  That looks very similar to mine.  If it's like mine you'll get 1/2 dozen or so flowers on each node, then when it's finished flowering it will sprout small leaves, and then roots (when it's done blooming I bend the stem and put all the nodes in the water).  When the roots are growing well I separate each node from the stem and plant them.  Mine has put out 4 shoots so far, one after the other, with 4-7 nodes each time.  I'll try to get a picture of it later and post it.  It's in the middle of a 20 gallon long tank, and it takes up 1/3 of the tank.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Thanks 2

On 6/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Amazon swords get HUUUUUGE, I've heard up to 3 ft tall. I think pretty soon your tank is going to be nothing but a giant sword plant! 😄

Anyways, I don't think it would hurt them to have some of the leaves partially out of the water. They might start to bend and just float at the top as they get longer. 

Here's my biggest one in my 75 gallon. You can see how the very tips of the leaves are starting to bend over at the surface.

PXL_20210621_225150905_MP.jpg.c7fd0f65edf6fc9cf28fcc9d13d1ca20.jpg

Jeez that's a big sword. What's your secret? Mine produces hella foliage but it grows super squat instead of reaching up toward the light

On 6/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, Phantom240 said:

Jeez that's a big sword. What's your secret? Mine produces hella foliage but it grows super squat instead of reaching up toward the light. 

Lots and lots of root tabs. Also, the light is pretty dimmed from all the duckweed. That might encourage it to grow taller, I'm not sure. It's several years old now; it stayed pretty small for a long time when I first got it.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:27 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Lots and lots of root tabs. Also, the light is pretty dimmed from all the duckweed. That might encourage it to grow taller, I'm not sure. It's several years old now; it stayed pretty small for a long time when I first got it.

Ahhh. Yes, my substrate (eco complete) is pretty mature and full of nutritious mulm, as well as maybe four easy tabs surrounding the plant. However, I have two 30w flood lamps (hell, they might be 50w for all I can remember) at the top of my tank, so that might explain why it's not reaching for the light lol. 

Edited by Phantom240

• 2 years later...
On 6/24/2021 at 9:21 PM, ParaVagans said:

Wow 3 ft tall! I would be so proud to achieve that especially in my 8 gallon.😄

You have a very healthy looking Amazon Sword but mine doesn't quite look the same.
I will attach a photo to show you just how abnormal mine looks.

I am no stranger to growing garden plants indoors under lights and a common thing that happens when you don't have a strong enough light is that the plants stretch and get very lanky. I think that is what happened to my Amazon Sword but the strange thing is that there is another Amazon Sword right next to it that didn't grow in the same way, so it could also be a genetic thing?

Could you also let me know what fish that is on the right. The orange one. It looks like a cichlid of some sort. I have always wanted to get a Flower Horn.

20210624_175017.jpg

My amazon plant too did the same so I cut it down and made it small again no doubt mine had already gone think and had almost 10 to 15 leaves 

20231017_170814.jpg

On 6/25/2021 at 9:07 AM, ParaVagans said:

Okay this explains it. Thank you @xXInkedPhoenixX for getting to the bottom of this.
The purple flower is very beautiful, my fingers are crossed that mine flowers.

To follow up on my sticky tape experiment where I tried to fix a broken stem, I decided to just prune that leaf.

Omg 😵‍💫😵 I just cut down all the leaves thinking my plant had gone crazy and were growing till dooms day 

Hopefully mine will grow enough to flower 🌸 soon