High Nitrates

fishmom

What might cause continued high nitrates in a tank that is heavily planted and gets regular water changes? I gravel vac regularly (every few weeks) and water change about 25% weekly. Nitrates out of the tap are 0. Heavily planted 10 gallon with only 3 guppies, snails, and shrimp. Has internal filter and sponge filter.  Would not cleaning the filter often increase nitrates? 

I have a similar situation happening in one of my 29 gallon with platies, but not the my 3 other tanks.  

sadies tank.jpg

On 6/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, Colu said:

It could be the easy green causing your high nitrates I would stop dosing easy green and see if your nitrates come down

By 'not often' I mean like once a month when I remember, so I don't think thats the problem

On 6/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, Remlicht89 said:

Nitrates, if not from fertilizer, comes from waste. So to much rotting food, rotting plants, or dead animals in your aquarium.

Hoe much and how often do you feed? I follow @ARMYVET that this might be the problem.

flakes daily 5/7 days, about once a week they get a treat of frozen brine shrimp or similar.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, fishmom said:

flakes daily 5/7 days, about once a week they get a treat of frozen brine shrimp or similar.

Well thats the what ....but the key is how much?  If there is uneaten food left behind on the tank floor that is too much and over time it builds up and starts to decay causing an eventual rise in nitrates.

• Like 1