I'm having trouble breeding angelfish

PaigeGlamelin

Hi, I have been trying to breed my leopard angelfish for a couple months now, It took me some time to get a flat slate and then of course their tank broke ( I live by murphys law if you have seen my other posts) and I had to fit them in my 29 gallon planted tank community tank which they had no problem nipping half the inhabitants of and eating all of my amanos, but I digress. I now have them back in their tank and they keep producing wigglers, I keep missing the eggs for some reason, but everytime i move the wigglers into their ziss breeder box they die within a matter of days. I clean the bottom of the box with a turkey baster for any detritus that has built up but I'm wondering what else I am missing? I think at this point I have watched every video dean has made on angelfish breeding but I'm obviously not getting something. 

Sometimes a pair just doesn't produce strong enough fry for good survival rates. I had a pair of German blue rams that would have fry that would even get to the free swimming phase and then slowly they would all die off. It may not be you at all, it may be the pair you have. Try dropping the temperature and giving them a break from breeding for a month or so, bulk them up with some high quality foods, and then try again, maybe? As long as the fry are eating and you're not getting fungus, they should be surviving without much issue so I'm not sure what else it could be. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 9:45 AM, Nirvanaquatics said:

Sometimes a pair just doesn't produce strong enough fry for good survival rates. I had a pair of German blue rams that would have fry that would even get to the free swimming phase and then slowly they would all die off. It may not be you at all, it may be the pair you have. Try dropping the temperature and giving them a break from breeding for a month or so, bulk them up with some high quality foods, and then try again, maybe? As long as the fry are eating and you're not getting fungus, they should be surviving without much issue so I'm not sure what else it could be. 

Wow I did not know that, very interesting, thank you for your input.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:53 AM, PaigeGlamelin said:

Wow I did not know that, very interesting, thank you for your input.

Yeah it's always frustrating when you keep getting fry that don't survive, I hope giving them a month off helps. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, PaigeGlamelin said:

Hi, I have been trying to breed my leopard angelfish for a couple months now, It took me some time to get a flat slate and then of course their tank broke ( I live by murphys law if you have seen my other posts) and I had to fit them in my 29 gallon planted tank community tank which they had no problem nipping half the inhabitants of and eating all of my amanos, but I digress. I now have them back in their tank and they keep producing wigglers, I keep missing the eggs for some reason, but everytime i move the wigglers into their ziss breeder box they die within a matter of days. I clean the bottom of the box with a turkey baster for any detritus that has built up but I'm wondering what else I am missing? I think at this point I have watched every video dean has made on angelfish breeding but I'm obviously not getting something. 

I would try to watch like a hawk until you see the eggs and then put them in a container with tank water and methylene blue and an airstone. Keep the water the temperature of the tank. 

I doubt it is genetic as suggested above. Have the wrigglers become free swimming or at what point do they die? Also do not feed them until they have been free swimming for about 12 hours. I.e, you say they die but at what point do they die? Also do you have the ziss box hookup to an airtube to keep the water circulating? 

• Like 1

I always find it useful to have plenty of infusoria in the aquarium with angelfish fry. It gives them the ability to feed as soon as they ready. After the yolk sac is absorbed they don't have much in the way of resources. Interestingly, I have seen angelfish fry peck at the slime coats of their parents much like discus fry do with their parents.

This isn't obligatory like with discus, but it is cool to see:

image.png.3c37646d2f1e8206bd9c877983898780.png

• Love 1