Cold Weather... Tubs...

Fish Folk

Anyone else have outdoor tub temps lurking in low 50s this morning? This is not good for business... 🥶

I’m starting to think that heaters set for mid 70s in outdoor tubs are really helpful in these crazy temperature swings.

Weather forecast has temps swinging between 44°-75° today.... not good for the gupsters outside... 

Does the low temperature, low 50s cause a problem? I ask, because I often see really high temperatures, like in the 90s or low temperature like yours in my outdoor pools and it doesn't seem to cause problems in the same way high or low temperatures cause in my indoor aquariums.

I guess what I'm trying to say is for some reason temperature extremes do not seem as harmful when they happen outdoors. Has this been your experience?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:55 AM, Daniel said:

Does the low temperature, low 50s cause a problem? I ask, because I often see really high temperatures, like in the 90s or low temperature like yours in my outdoor pools and it doesn't seem to cause problems in the same way high or low temperatures cause in my indoor aquariums.

I guess what I'm trying to say is for some reason temperature extremes do not seem as harmful when they happen outdoors. Has this been your experience?

I’ve not got too much to draw from. This is our 2nd year doing guppies outside, so I’m a newby. We lost most adult guppies a few weeks ago with the sustained cool temps that stayed in 40°s for a few days. Our tubs aren’t in ground, so there’s no thermal balancing.   I just moved a bunch of guppies out to the tubs on Sunday, so I’ll check to see how they do.

I had that problem a week after I set my tub up. Luckily I had a couple spare small heaters and put them in to manage my temp drops at night. I didn't lose any fish but the were dropping to the low 50s high 40s at night for a couple days before I got the heaters in.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:02 AM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve not got too much to draw from. This is our 2nd year doing guppies outside, so I’m a newby. We lost most adult guppies a few weeks ago with the sustained cool temps that stayed in 40°s for a few days. Our tubs aren’t in ground, so there’s no thermal balancing.   I just moved a bunch of guppies out to the tubs on Sunday, so I’ll check to see how they do.

Yeah, all of my stuff is in the ground and that seems to make a difference when it comes to what can be tolerated at the extremes.