Summer water changes

Mr Gumby

Now the weather has warmed up does anyone else find themselves doing multiple small water changes just so they can water the garden plants? 

I know it's not efficient as far as nitrate removal and effort but I think the positives out way the negatives

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Now the weather has warmed up does anyone else find themselves doing multiple small water changes just so they can water the garden plants? 

I know it's not efficient as far as nitrate removal and effort but I think the positives out way the negatives

I've been planning to do some for indoor houseplants. I might give some basil a go outside. Mrs. Fish Folk makes a proper pizza, for which fresh basil is essential. I can't figure out how to guard san marzano tomatoes (another essential for real pizza) from the deer, or I'd be growing them as well. I have heard that nitrate quantities in tank water can be beneficial for plants. Good luck to you and your gardens!

On 6/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

I've been planning to do some for indoor houseplants. I might give some basil a go outside. Mrs. Fish Folk makes a proper pizza, for which fresh basil is essential. I can't figure out how to guard san marzano tomatoes (another essential for real pizza) from the deer, or I'd be growing them as well. I have heard that nitrate quantities in tank water can be beneficial for plants. Good luck to you and your gardens!

Nothing so exciting for me, we have quite a few planters outside with bee bombs (wild flower seeds) 

They aren't blooming yet so not overly colourful but should bring nature a little closer soon

• Like 1

one thing not talked about enough is the increased chemicals and water treatments that happen in summer time (at least in the united states) so more frequent smaller water changes are actually safer in my opinion. My water supply uses chloramine and has been measured up at 4 ppm chloramine during the summer time which takes a lot of water conditioner to treat out. That doesnt include other chemicals used during the water treatment process either. 

Summer time there is more rain runoff and more fertilizers entering the water ways and with higher temperatures takes more treatment to keep drinking water "safe for consumption" however, those treatments can make them deadly for aquariums. This time of year I do much smaller and more frequent changes after losing some really rare goldfish after a thunderstorm water change when chloramines were through the roof, I didn't know and they burned, luckily I only lose 3 fish and not the entire room, it just so happened it was my two rarest fish and my favorite wet pet. 

BUT! absolutely use fish water on your plants and garden plants, they grow much faster that way and its a great way to fertilize them. 

On 6/23/2021 at 7:35 AM, Fish Folk said:

Tall Chicken wire fencing I use stakes or wood to hold mine up

On 6/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mr Gumby said:

I sure do. It grows the best veggies!