Tank mates for neocardia shrimp

Dirtydave

I have a 7 inch pleco (I’m not sure what kind) in a tank with cherry shrimp and have never seen it do any harm. I often see shrimp catching a ride on the pleco or eating from the same piece of zucchini; they don’t seem to mind one another at all. I have no experience with SAEs so hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck!

A lot depends on the size of the tank, the amount of plants, and hidey-holes the fish can't get in to... and of course the individual temperaments of the fish.

At first glance, I'd say no. Crafty old timer shrimp, who are in an established tank might survive ok, but small shrimp and fry for sure will end up being snacks.

I do have a whole colony of red neos in with 2 female gouramis, some quite large and boisterous emperor tetras, and a school of hyperactive glolight danios. On occasion a few fry make it to adulthood. The adults however roam around without a care in the world. No-one messes with them. I also found a large neo in my angelfish tank. He must have hitchhiked on some java moss. My angelfish is kind of shy however, and is going through the med trio. So he might just not feel up to eating any shrimp just yet...

On 6/22/2021 at 5:16 PM, Griznatch said:

A lot depends on the size of the tank, the amount of plants, and hidey-holes the fish can't get in to... and of course the individual temperaments of the fish.

At first glance, I'd say no. Crafty old timer shrimp, who are in an established tank might survive ok, but small shrimp and fry for sure will end up being snacks.

I do have a whole colony of red neos in with 2 female gouramis, some quite large and boisterous emperor tetras, and a school of hyperactive glolight danios. On occasion a few fry make it to adulthood. The adults however roam around without a care in the world. No-one messes with them. I also found a large neo in my angelfish tank. He must have hitchhiked on some java moss. My angelfish is kind of shy however, and is going through the med trio. So he might just not feel up to eating any shrimp just yet...

Tks the tank is super heavily planted 30 gallon and I don't want to lose any as a LFS gives me $3.50 each store .I have no idea how many I have but don't Want  to lose any.Also were speaking on the pleco or siamese algea eaters 

I'd be more concerned with the SAEs than the Pleco. If you are really concerned with losing shrimp then you are really down to fish like otocinclus or chili rasboras. Your highest yield of shrimp is going to probably be with shrimp only in the tank.

On 6/22/2021 at 7:08 PM, Griznatch said:

I'd be more concerned with the SAEs than the Pleco. If you are really concerned with losing shrimp then you are really down to fish like otocinclus or chili rasboras. Your highest yield of shrimp is going to probably be with shrimp only in the tank.

Presently other than the shrimp I have about 8 feathrtfin rainbows.Never appear to have been a problem. They have very small mouths.

• Love 1