Pea puffers

Rosanne

Hi, I need advice please. I’ve have 3P puffers for about six months one boy and two girls. I had them in a 10 gallon tank but the male was only interested in one of the girls and would chase the other girl off so I put her in my community tank. The male is sweet to the girl he’s with most of the time, nudging her around I but I do see him darted at her if she stays away from him. She has also started hiding from him. They did have a baby but it just died in the fry tank with some other fish I have.😢 My question, should I just leave it be, put her in the community tank with the other girl, or put all three of them in the community tank? Thank you 

Edited by Rosanne
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 3:49 PM, Rosanne said:

Hi, I need advice please. I’ve have 3P puffers for about six months one boy and two girls. I had them in a 10 gallon tank but the male was only interested in one of the girls and would chase the other girl off so I put her in my community tank. The male is sweet to the girl he’s with most of the time, nudging her around I but I do see him darted at her if she stays away from him. She has also started hiding from him. They did have a baby but it just died in the fry tank with some other fish I have.😢 My question, should I just leave it be, put her in the community tank with the other girl, or put all three of them in the community tank? Thank you 

Aww... I miss our Pea Puffers now.

Can you upload a photo of your 10-gal tank?

I think that Pea Puffers do well if there’s plenty of plants for them, and a bit more filtration than a 10-gal would warrant. They tend to be messy.

As long as she can really hide, and he has something to do... they’re probably Ok.

How badly was the 1st female hurt before you moved her out?

Hi thank you for answering I just removed a different piece of wood but and I’m having a heckuva time with diatom algae in this tank. like I said about six months old I don’t understand it I just added some ottos but they don’t seem to be to doing too much for it. Anyway, the female that I moved wasn’t hurt but I couldn’t stand seeing him chase her around like that, I’m a softy. And the two that are in there now sometimes they’re just so cute.They just bop along together like there an old married couple going for a stroll, it’s just adorable but if he’s in the mood and she’s not she hides, when he finds her and she swims away he darts so fast but she is fast too. She does seem scared. I really don’t want to leave him alone in the 10 gallon. I have a 40 gallon that’s the one I’m thinking about moving them so all three will be in there. And it’s heavily planted

01E29F9C-7689-4910-AC48-328583513A9F.jpeg

On 6/22/2021 at 3:49 PM, Rosanne said:

Not sure what you have in a community tank but sometimes it works. Most people who have success are with fast moving fish.  Guppies would not be good as they have interesting tasty looking tails lol. 

Personally my experience has been great with a group of 6 in a 20g long with lots of plants. Helps spread out aggression and gives them places for each to claim territory. 

But if you want to breed the two you had success with I'd keep them together in their own to with nothing else to encourage the breeding. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your reply’s. I have some plants coming so that should help. 
I’m going to move the one girl back over with the male. He really hates the other girl and she is jealous of the girl he likes. After the two mated the other girl attacked her, grabbed her by the cheek and wouldn’t let her go and made her puff up. It was awful. I feel bad that she will be the only puffer in the community tank but I don’t trust her. Maybe I can buy another for the community tank for her. 
Did any of your males act like that? Only interested in one female?

@Rosanne my male only seems to like one of the females -- the biggest of the three -- but he doesn't usually bother the other two unless he's in a mood. I think your one female will be fine in a community tank as the only puffer. She'll still have company. You just need to keep an eye on her behavior and whether she's acting out at the other community fish or not. They're such strange and fascinating creatures.