Ottos

Ben Ellison

On 9/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, Ben Ellison said:

I have been reading  about  ottos starving  in clean tanks. I thought  I was feeding  mine with algae wafers but most have died out now. I'm curious  what  is recommended  to supplement  their diet?

Mine will not eat algae wafers but they do love zuchini, sweet potato, cucumber, shrimp pellets and meaty bottom feeder pellets. That being said they are almost always wild caught and it took mine a long time to figure out they could eat those things. In the meantime they had a huge amount of algae to graze on. If your tank doesnt have the algae and awfuchs for them to graze on then maybe ottos just arent a good fit for that tank.

I've gotten wild otos in before and put them in a couple tanks with algae covering the glass, had wood in the tank for them to munch on, They slowly started eating the algae and biofilms on the wood and stuff, I was thinking of trying a trick discus importers use, where if they have a batch of wild discus that wont accept pellets etc they will put a discus that they've had for a while that is eating the prepared foods in to basically teach the new ones that they can eat the foods. I might try it if I ever do get wild ones again since I have some that will eat pretty much anything, algae wafers, sticks, cucumber, zucchini.

My ottos will eat the algea wafers. I have a 10 gallon that probably has plenty of algea for them to eat already however. I also find them munching on the cholla wood I have as well. I have found that the other fish will eat the wafers so I try to drop them in the areas that my ottos hangout in where maybe the other fish wont be as often.