Let the hobbies collide...

Gardener me pilfered supplies from fish keeping me... the siphon hose has just the right flow to slowly deep water/fertilize at the base off the plants without run-off. Bonus: I get to “multi-task” (aka wander off), and mix up 5G of fertilizer at once. Laziness is the mother off efficiency 😂 

Anyone else have hobby mash-ups where another hobby informs the fish keeping, or the fish keeping informs another hobby? 

*disclaimer: the siphon has been permanently relegated to the garden shed, the bucket is out only for tank water.

2052F7AB-9191-4714-B2E1-896CACA00DE6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/21/2021 at 11:33 PM, skipper said:

Gardener me pilfered supplies from fish keeping me... the siphon hose has just the right flow to slowly deep water/fertilize at the base off the plants without run-off. Bonus: I get to “multi-task” (aka wander off), and mix up 5G of fertilizer at once. Laziness is the mother off efficiency 😂 

Anyone else have hobby mash-ups where another hobby informs the fish keeping, or the fish keeping informs another hobby? 

*disclaimer: the siphon has been permanently relegated to the garden shed, the bucket is out only for tank water.

2052F7AB-9191-4714-B2E1-896CACA00DE6.jpeg

Love this! Do you use tank water for watering garden plants?

I’ve got limited time for more than one hobby... but I mix everything from life into aquatics, and visa versa. 

Having an aquarium branched out into collecting house plants, getting a microscope, and taking up micro-fishing. They all fall into the biology category or maybe being a naturalist. So maybe it's all the same hobby, but the broad range of equipment used for each is what makes them different to me.

I grow cuttings in my tanks sometimes and use tank water to water my house plants. I use an old nicrew light as a growlight.

I take samples from my tanks to examine under the microscope and have tried making colonies of micro fauna in specimen containers ( I want a tardigrade aquarium). I also collect samples when I'm out fishing.

A Lee's specimen container is part of my tackle bag along with pipettes and scaping tweezers. I buy mealworms from the pet store for bait. I keep some of the fish I have caught and study them to be better at fishing for them. I also study the environment while I'm fishing to better understand the natural processes so that I can be better at keeping artificial ecosystems.

Ugh, I guess throw traveling in with the rest. I will scope out any area I'm traveling to for fish stores, parks with waterways, science museums, zoos, and aquariums.

I know other people on this fish keeping forum have these same hobbies, so maybe it's all just part of the fish keeping hobby.

• Like 5

I love all of these! @Aubrey a microscope is on my wishlist! Can you recommend one? I’d like to be able to take pictures with or through it. @Patrick_G your landscaping is beautiful! The pockets of red remind me of red ludwigia 👌 @Alesha I remember that post, brilliant! I hope it has been a fruitful endeavor, would love to see an update!

@Fish Folk I do use tank water in the garden when I have it, which triples as exercise 😂 I confess to being a plant hoarder (aquatic to terrestrial) so I never have enough nitrates to get by on fish poop alone. My tanks are an alchemy of turning nitrates into elodea... Which makes for fantastic compost btw, just a couple of extra steps and another set of beneficial bacteria before it becomes garden food. I guess my hobbies boil down to bacteria farmer 😂😂.

• Like 2

@skipperI have a swift trinocular scope and I use whatever cellphone mount that was recommended for it for pictures. I didn't really need the trinocular head. I think a single eyepiece would work fine for hobbyist use and being able to take photos. I would recommend having a mechanical stage though. Check out Microbehunter on YouTube. I watched a lot of his buying tips and brand comparisons before buying mine. I also know that the Journey to the Microcosmos YouTube channel is launching a hobbyist microscope that looks decent.

• Like 1