Question about Crinum Calamistratum

Alesha

I'm wondering about my crinum. When we first planted it in the substrate, we surrounded it by rocks and poured substrate all in the circle the rocks formed, so that the base of the crinum would be covered completely. Over time, though, with water changes and fish jostling around, the rocks have shifted away and the substrate has fallen to the sides, leaving the base of the crinum uncovered.

Should we replant it? I know they really hate being uprooted and moved.

I'm trying to find a rock with a hole that we could thread down over all the leaves to sit around the stem and protect it, but so far the LFS have nothing that will work.

Any other ideas?

Thank you so much! 

Alesha (akconklin)

P.S. Sorry for the murky water. We're still trying to recover from the Levamisole treatments. 🙄😕

20200918_132442 (2).jpg

20200918_132615 (2).jpg

the two that I have look just the same, the "bulb" is just resting on the surface and the roots extend down into the substrate. At first I kept trying to get the bulbous part down in the substrate more, but it kept coming out and then I heard that they don't like being moved, so I have left them alone now for a few months and are doing good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Casual aquatics I believe it's a root feeder. 

It's also my understanding that most if not all "water column feeders" actually absorb nutrients more readily thru their roots than through their stems and leaves. It's just that they've adapted so that they absorb nutrients thru their stems and leaves efficiently enough that they CAN do well when the water column is their only source of nutrients. I think @Daniel and his dirtedvnermvecocomplete might help show if that's true or not. 

Here is a pretty cool picture of Crinum calamistratum growing and flowering in a stream in Cameroon in West Africa . It is in the Lily family.

image.png.b872a2222f588d760b6931707f8c21ec.png

I haven't grown Crinum calamistratum but given its root structure it is very likely a root feeder. But as @ChefConfit mentions above, just because you have roots doesn't rule out absorbing nutrients through your stems and leaves. Many times it can be a little of both.

Crinum calamistratum is definitely a 'bulb' plant like so many of the lilies are. I would follow @Irene's recommendation and leave it like it is.

Has anyone had their Crinum calamistratum flower like the picture above?

• Like 2

This was about 18 month ago so..I usually run 10 hours and these lights were old T5 with 6500K. The plant grew huge and I had to break it up. I didn't use root feeders much then but the tank was well seasoned so it probably got a lot of nutrients through the substrate.

20190429_212402.jpg.f5f755c5d45a6dcadbd8ee443f98aa3e.jpg

20190430_175759.jpg.4a4809303f5d4b6029afd60c6c08f042.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blurb said:

This was about 18 month ago so..I usually run 10 hours and these lights were old T5 with 6500K. The plant grew huge and I had to break it up. I didn't use root feeders much then but the tank was well seasoned so it probably got a lot of nutrients through the substrate.

20190429_212402.jpg.f5f755c5d45a6dcadbd8ee443f98aa3e.jpg

20190430_175759.jpg.4a4809303f5d4b6029afd60c6c08f042.jpg

@Blurb, wow! That is just amazing!  Thanks for the encouragement! 👍👍