Fluval Plant 3.0 Scheduling and Programming

Streetwise

There are many ways to run these lights. I enjoy the dual siestas with my substrate style, because I get really predictable results. I grow plants, and just enough algae. I get to wake up with my tanks, see them for lunch on the weekends, and watch them go dark like a sunset every night.

I also get the side-effect of seeing my shy fish come out during each siesta.

• Like 2

Hi @Leo2o915, I started this thread to try to create a useful FAQ for the forum, especially dealing with the app interface, updates, and some programming tips, collected in the first post. It is also about community sharing.

For my own programming, I have focused on a dual siesta schedule, because it works for me. If you wanted to try that, you could look at my 20 gallon program, and just increase the peak levels for your larger tank.

This thread is full of cool programming ideas from fellow members with a variety of tank sizes and conditions.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 7:46 PM, Streetwise said:

There are many ways to run these lights. I enjoy the dual siestas with my substrate style, because I get really predictable results. I grow plants, and just enough algae. I get to wake up with my tanks, see them for lunch on the weekends, and watch them go dark like a sunset every night.

I also get the side-effect of seeing my shy fish come out during each siesta.

I’ve noticed my otocinclus are out more with dual siestas. Very nice to see those guys again. Was starting to wonder if I had any lol 😂 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 7:55 PM, Nicole said:

Would you consider running a Fluval 3.0 at 50% low, medium or high light.

I do that at a even lower intesity! It maxes out at 35%. Here are my settings:

image.png.7a8b39117faa243bc544da0878f5504b.png

I copied bentley pascoe's settings and tuned it down to match my aquarium. Its for a 10 gallon low tech planted aquarium. Its been working great for me!

• Like 3

This is my set up 65G (36x18x24)

I run two Fluval plant 3.0’s at the setting in the photo and I’ve had no problems with algae. Minimal ferts, no co2 just the recommended dosing of seachem excel and I started with all tissue culture pots except the Anubias. Many have argued that I’m way over lighting but I tried all different setting and I’ve been getting the best results form this considering the depth of water it has to travel. Hope this helps or at least gives you another view point. 

33FABCE9-E166-4A07-AB6B-AD7D162B5AE4.png

04B51623-5D49-46F6-A65C-2E88C184184D.png

8D4E6431-AF08-42DA-AAA1-F8864F33C37B.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey all I have 2 fluval plant 3.0 lights on my 220 gal tank. I came across these lights for a steal at a estate auction... I no longer have any plants as my fish have decided that I no longer need them 😆 what light spectrum are best or worse for tropical fish? I do have a algae film growing on my fake plants that my algae eaters and snails are unable to rid of right now.... any recommendations? Thanks!

Screenshot_20210723-220706_FluvalSmart.jpg

20210723_160542.jpg

20210723_160553.jpg

On 7/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, Blueshadows02 said:

Hey all I have 2 fluval plant 3.0 lights on my 220 gal tank. I came across these lights for a steal at a estate auction... I no longer have any plants as my fish have decided that I no longer need them 😆 what light spectrum are best or worse for tropical fish? I do have a algae film growing on my fake plants that my algae eaters and snails are unable to rid of right now.... any recommendations? Thanks!

Screenshot_20210723-220706_FluvalSmart.jpg

20210723_160542.jpg

20210723_160553.jpg

Maybe turn off the blue. See how that looks. Blue seems to grow algae more.

Edited by Frank

• 1 month later...

Thrilled to have found this thread 🙃 But i have a 65g tank with 2 Fluval 3.0's and this is my light setting.
my tank : Depth 24in.
               Width 36in.

I have:
Anachris
Monte Carlo
Anubias
Scarlet temple
Java Moss

Looking for some critiques for any experts. I am getting Green hair algae and brown algae (very little brown algae)

Screenshot_20210901-183210_FluvalSmart.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, Dakota said:

Thrilled to have found this thread 🙃 But i have a 65g tank with 2 Fluval 3.0's and this is my light setting.
my tank : Depth 24in.
               Width 36in.

I have:
Anachris
Monte Carlo
Anubias
Scarlet temple
Java Moss

Looking for some critiques for any experts. I am getting Green hair algae and brown algae (very little brown algae)

Screenshot_20210901-183210_FluvalSmart.jpg

My settings are quite different. I had an issue with BBA. After a blackout week and heavy doses of liquid carbon. My setting seems to work for me. NOTE.  I have a 32 inch Seaview light that I use for yellow and red light only. 

Screenshot_20210901-173917_FluvalSmart.jpg

20210818_204952.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 6:44 PM, Kittkat1981 said:

My settings are quite different. I had an issue with BBA. After a blackout week and heavy doses of liquid carbon. My setting seems to work for me. NOTE.  I have a 32 inch Seaview light that I use for yellow and red light only. 

Screenshot_20210901-173917_FluvalSmart.jpg

20210818_204952.jpg

Hmm it would seem that my monte carlo wouldn't get enough light with that. But idk im no expert at lighting. Im trying to see if anything of mine would need optomized. Your tank looks amazing.What is the plant on the drift wood with very fine leaves?

IMG_8095.jpg

Edited by Dakota

On 9/1/2021 at 5:48 PM, Dakota said:

Hmm it would seem that my monte carlo wouldn't get enough light with that. But idk im no expert at lighting. Im trying to see if anything of mine would need optomized. Your tank looks amazing.What is the plant on the drift wood with very fine leaves?

Most of my stuff is low to mid  light.  I have zero exp with high tech.   Sorry I wasn't of help

On 9/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, Kittkat1981 said:

I will say this.  These lights have alot of blue in all of the led. In my experience. Blue tends to cause more hair algae but idk if that changes with those types of plants and your setup

Yeah maybe if i turn the blue to zero i can take out the bigger chunks of algae. And of course you were help! I need any info i can get lol!

On 9/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

So did a little reading and did a quick pro setup of mine. Really only have plants on one side of the tank,  vallisneria, bacopa, one sword, java moss, java fern on opposite side , and two small anubias . Any recommendations, pointers , tips or tricks on adjustment lmk thanks !

20210902_184331.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-184032_FluvalSmart.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-184026_FluvalSmart.jpg

Also as ya can see there's a lot of ambient light in the afternoons. 

• Like 1