Fluval Plant 3.0 Scheduling and Programming

Streetwise

On 6/4/2022 at 2:05 PM, Tara - fish mom said:

I have two 40 gal breeders that are decently planted (no co2) and Fluval 3.0 plant on them. The hair algae is crazy in both. Would someone mind telling me what settings are working for you to control hair algae, yet keep plants and fish happy? Thank you in advance!

Bentleys daysim, somewhere on this thread i uploaded a percentage spread sheet so you can easily manipulate the setting by a certain percentage 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:43 PM, anewbie said:

I have a question. The app use to have 'profile' that you could select what level the various lights were set to. Did they remove these profiles ?

It's there.  It's the planted vs. malawi vs. the other settings.  When you are in the app click on Export and it should give you the list.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's there.  It's the planted vs. malawi vs. the other settings.  When you are in the app click on Export and it should give you the list.

Sigh. Ok they moved it. i really hate the term export - thanks.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, JoeQ said:

Bentleys daysim, somewhere on this thread i uploaded a percentage spread sheet so you can easily manipulate the setting by a certain percentage 

Thank you for your reply... but honestly, I'm that slow when it comes to this ... I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to reply to you on this forum (hopefully I'm doing it right). If someone doesn't mind giving it to me at a 3 yr old level, it appreciate it... as in with pictures and instructions. Pretend I'm your grandmother and you're trying to explain the internet ... like that kind of level. I'll bake you some cookies in return (is that what grandmas to today?)

On 6/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, Tara - fish mom said:

Thank you for your reply... but honestly, I'm that slow when it comes to this ... I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to reply to you on this forum (hopefully I'm doing it right). If someone doesn't mind giving it to me at a 3 yr old level, it appreciate it... as in with pictures and instructions. Pretend I'm your grandmother and you're trying to explain the internet ... like that kind of level. I'll bake you some cookies in return (is that what grandmas to today?)

Lmao! I need to explain to my mom as if shes a 3 year old. So im use to it. I'll send you links to Bentley Pascos Fluval 3.0 video series. Give that a watch then if you have any questions ill try to answer them for you. Hes very good at explaining complex subjects in a very simple way

On 6/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, Tara - fish mom said:

Are you able to take a screenshot of the app on your phone to show your current settings?

On 6/7/2022 at 4:25 PM, Tara - fish mom said:

Do you have a computer, or are you trying to do the forum & the programming on your phone at the same time? (recovering Luddite here, I get it!)

On 5/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, Streetwise said:

@nabokovfan87, have you tested those 3D-printed Nano mounts for rimmed tanks? I commissioned the design but still have not tried them.

Have you seen the method using VHB tape and a side piece on the rim?  Might be easier, I can sketch something out.  I saw it on a YT video.

I do not know how to mount the nano, but it was a "nifty" method for mounting the 3.0 bar lights at height.  (no idea why, but it's possible)

I would suggest using a wider piece, stop yourself from accidentally knocking the light easily.

image.png.0db5da1b61c0bae255888c5c353ee860.png

Edited by nabokovfan87
Added Photo

Many thanks to Streetwise et al for starting this thread and keeping it alive for 2 years.  I have learned a great deal here and from Bentley's videos.  My tank is a standard 20 G , non-CO2, with inert gravel.  I purchased my 24-36" Planted 3.0 from Aquarium Co-op 2months ago and began using Bentley's "Day Sim for Shallow Tanks" with the intensity reduced to 30% since My tank was not heavily planted.  Way too much light with hair algae everywhere!  Stumbled on Streetwise's duel siesta settings and have been using them for 5 days with whites reduced to to 30% since I have the 24-36" 32 watt device.  Mostly crypts and Java Ferns but have recently added 5 bunches of stems to "out compete the algae".  Am I in the ballpark with these settings or should I start even lower?IMG_4467.PNG.37f88b3e2c9fcf3050a12708f970b07d.PNGIMG_4467.PNG.37f88b3e2c9fcf3050a12708f970b07d.PNG

On 6/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, John Henry said:

Many thanks to Streetwise et al for starting this thread and keeping it alive for 2 years.  I have learned a great deal here and from Bentley's videos.  My tank is a standard 20 G , non-CO2, with inert gravel.  I purchased my 24-36" Planted 3.0 from Aquarium Co-op 2months ago and began using Bentley's "Day Sim for Shallow Tanks" with the intensity reduced to 30% since My tank was not heavily planted.  Way too much light with hair algae everywhere!  Stumbled on Streetwise's duel siesta settings and have been using them for 5 days with whites reduced to to 30% since I have the 24-36" 32 watt device.  Mostly crypts and Java Ferns but have recently added 5 bunches of stems to "out compete the algae".

For those with Anubias farms.  Aquasky 24" on a 29G tank.  This is the settings and results after a few weeks.  Again, this is the tank where I have a lot of ambient light and want to outcompete the horde of BBA.  The logic is that I want the plant to grow using the ambient light, the light itself is very underpowered as well. Second to that, I want the fish to have a "longer" afternoon cycle.  So this tank is specifically set for very late light time in comparison to the day/night cycle in the room.  A wider window of low light so we can enjoy the tank, but not enough to let algae grow in any form. (and hopefully get removed over time).

I cannot stress it enough, manual removal helps so much for hair / BBA algae.

In John's case, the lighting is going to be very different for stem plants. But I think it's cool to show the contrast and how things work over time for both lights/plants.
Screenshot_20220614-145959.jpg.933a4b35be24059e029b47d51a35495f.jpg

20220614_145914.JPG.fc0d897b8677a6fef6206981c50aa730.JPG

20220614_145907.JPG.420d4f434f5abf434a3f49e4e1d089e5.JPG

20220614_145903.JPG.9f1476894df47b3348a928753f00fe88.JPG

Hi everyone! I have been snooping around this thread (and a few others) for a while trying to understand the best way to light my 29gall tall tank with the Fluval 3.0 lights I got a few weeks ago. I just put them on a pro mode early on and that was SO much light. Needless to say, uh... algae happened. Here are a few pics (my new schedule with dual siestas, thank you @Streetwise for the cool idea and information) and an algae picture. The amazon sword in the back has a leaf or two with some serious algae on it and the rock in the forefront has developed some brown spots now. And the tank has some algae on the walls as well, but not a ton.

Mind you, I just switched to this new light setting so that is a pretty big reduction to try and help the plants and balance the algae. Does this seem like the correct move? Are there other options? I have 5 nerite snails and 5 amano shrimp in this tank and they are busy, busy, busy. Should I straight up prune that leaf of the Amazon sword. I am really trying to balance because the tank is only around a month and a into being planted, so I see the "recycling" of some leaves from the Swords to begin new growth. And there is some new growth. So, of course, I am not really sure if I am going about all this the right way.

Thanks for any advice!

edit: also, any lid advice for use with the fluval 3.0? Or does having that kind of preclude having one? I was interested in the future of keeping killifish (way down the line) and know that you have to have a closely sealed lid. Do any work?

algae_621.jpeg

FluvalSmart1.jpeg

FluvalSmart2.jpeg

Edited by drawnitsud
follow up question
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, drawnitsud said:

edit: also, any lid advice for use with the fluval 3.0? Or does having that kind of preclude having one? I was interested in the future of keeping killifish (way down the line) and know that you have to have a closely sealed lid. Do any work?

Clear lids allow the light in. May need to adjust how you mount, it depends on your specific set up. I use Egg crate light diffuser cut to size on the sides, and stretch saran wrap across to get a good seal under my AquaSky without losing light. So, depends on how creative you want to be.

Regarding the algae on leaves, have you read this option yet?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, Leo2o915 said:

It’s a 20 long trying to control the algae problem right now that’s why I got that light 🙂 so how low should I have it at ? 

This is my settings for my 20L. Dosing carbon every other day and it’s doing well

BBDFD84A-1266-4319-85E1-B23A91B5E7A0.png

@drawnitsud your settings are virtually the same as mine with the exception of your nighttime blue.  I have been using @Streetwise's duel siesta settings for 2 weeks and I am seeing a definite improvement.  New crypt leaves are no longer covered with 2 mm of hair algae and my stem plants are still green and showing new growth.  Your 29 G is likely an inch or two taller than my 20 G but I think these settings will work for you.  I'm getting a little algae on the glass so I may need to back down a few percent on my peak intensities.

As far as a lid goes I am been using a glass Versa top.  It stops the jumpers and decreases evaporation but the one inch wide black hinge strip limits where you can place the light..

• Thanks 1

You do not have to use those hinges for glass lids, if you have a way to open a slice for feeding or access. When I use glass lids, I will measure, and get glass cut and champfered from a local glass window shop.

You can get a custom fit for super-cheap, and made very quickly. I think I paid about $15 and waited 15 minutes.

• Thanks 1

Is there a huge difference between a mostly dark 4h siesta mid afternoon (my plants will still recieve window light), VS a greatly reduced (1% on all spectrums) mid afternoon dim down?  Do the plants process the subtle difference in light diffrently?

On 6/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, Streetwise said:

@JoeQ, it is really going to be specific to what window light you have. I have a few tanks with only window light, and one tank where I had to install blackout curtains to stop window light.

Try something and report back in a month!

I've already started doing 4 hours (12pm~4pm) on the night setting which I believe is 1% on all spectrums. My normal light schedule is Bentleys Day sim 45%, with blue at 30%.  As you can see im battling a good deal of hair algea on account of excessive temperatures, co2 fluctuations caused by aggressive surface aggitation and neglect! Gotta tighten up!!!! 🤣

20220628_165838.jpg

Edited by JoeQ