Snails

Rudles

Lovin' that my Bladder snails are starting to multiply. I had at least one come in on my plants. I don't get overly concerned. I welcome them as part of my cleanup crew. It's surprising how fast they move compared to the Ramshorn snails in my 20 gallon tank. 

Do you keep them or try to eradicate them?

20210621_121451.jpg

20210621_121732.jpg

• Like 2

I recently moved most of mine into a 5 gallon, just to make them be close enough to each other to mate more. I love that they look like they're glittered.  

I can't really tell if they're very useful though. They do eat leftover fish food, but I've seen malaysian trumpets turn a big pile of poo into a little pile of sand, and I've seen ramshorns lawnmower through algae on the glass. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:47 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I recently moved most of mine into a 5 gallon, just to make them be close enough to each other to mate more. I love that they look like they're glittered.  

I can't really tell if they're very useful though. They do eat leftover fish food, but I've seen malaysian trumpets turn a big pile of poo into a little pile of sand, and I've seen ramshorns lawnmower through algae on the glass. 

I watched one eating green spot algae on the front glass. I could see a visible trail of clean glass (acrylic) as it moved along. 

• Like 1

I keep all snails and even have setup a 1 gallon vase with some guppy grass and a single Ramshorn (named Scooter) snail in it that sits on the coffee table so we can watch tv together at night.  He is actually funny to watch at times...LOL

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, laritheloud said:

I don't have Malaysian Trumpet Snails yet........ I can't decide if it's tempting or if I'm inviting the apocalypse.

This is so accurate. They're excellent for getting down between gravel pieces instead of just skimming the surface. That's a nifty trick. But.. um... they're kinda ugly, and they do reproduce like mad.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, BaRanchik said:

They generate SO MUCH waste

I hadn't yet formed an opinion about this when I had a bare-bottom tank, with a big pile of fish poo piled on the floor of it. (I didn't remotely know what I was doing at the time.) I added about a dozen malaysian trumpets, and within a day, that big pile of poo was a little pile of sand - 1/10 or less the volume of the poo. Though I don't like malaysian trumpets, I'll always keep them for that 1 reason.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I hadn't yet formed an opinion about this when I had a bare-bottom tank, with a big pile of fish poo piled on the floor of it. (I didn't remotely know what I was doing at the time.) I added about a dozen malaysian trumpets, and within a day, that big pile of poo was a little pile of sand - 1/10 or less the volume of the poo. Though I don't like malaysian trumpets, I'll always keep them for that 1 reason.

Oh, I wasn't talking about MTS. I was talking about the bladder snails that were mentioned by the original poster.

I actually love malaysian trumpet snails and I keep them in my aquariums, because I can barely ever see them, and like you mentioned they love eating fish/shrimp poop. On the other hand, I had a shrimp bowl that was overrun by bladder snails and pond snails. Even just 2 of them were enough to cover the whole substrate with poop within a few days.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, BaRanchik said:

Oh, I wasn't talking about MTS. I was talking about the bladder snails that were mentioned by the original poster.

I actually love malaysian trumpet snails and I keep them in my aquariums, because I can barely ever see them, and like you mentioned they love eating fish/shrimp poop. On the other hand, I had a shrimp bowl that was overrun by bladder snails and pond snails. Even just 2 of them were enough to cover the whole substrate with poop within a few days.

I totally should've realized that! Sorry. 

Also, I'm new to bladder snails, so I appreciate this info. 

• Like 1