Help me choose colorful schooling fish 30G

tmchome

Need a fish for the middle/upper area of my well planted, peaceful community tank. Would like colorful - contrast with my other fish and ideally good schooling if possible. 

Bottom: Already have 7 Panda Corys, 1 bristlenose pleco

Upper: Thinking of 3-5 Honey Gouramis

Would like to get one small fish so I can get in a decent size school for my tank (thinking 15-20. Someday I'll have a bigger tank!)

I know rummynose tetras school really well but think I'd like more color. Some I've been thinking of: chili rasbora, neon tetra, Emerald Dwarf Rasbora, maybe small rainbow fish?

Thoughts?? Ideas??

I'd probably go with neon tetras. I know they are so common but every time I see them in person I'm always drawn to that tank. I really like harlequin rasboras and serpae tetras as well. I wouldn't go with a rainbowfish if you're looking for good schoolers/peaceful. They are very active and spar more than school. They are cool fish but they aren't the best fit for that peaceful community tank vibe imo.

7 Cory's, 5 Gouramis (even dwarf variety), 1 Pleco plus 20 dither fish are an awful big bio-load for a 30 gallon.  I hope you've given thought to the amount of maintenance that will be required.

This being said, I would choose either Celestial Pearl Danios (as previously suggested) or better yet a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnows (the "golden" variant would look great IMO).  They are both small, and tend to favor the upper half of the water column.

Plus they are both favorable to the water conditions suitable for the other fish you've listed.

Edited by tonyjuliano

On 6/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, tonyjuliano said:

7 Cory's, 5 Gouramis (even dwarf variety), 1 Pleco plus 20 dither fish are an awful big bio-load for a 30 gallon.  I hope you've given thought to the amount of maintenance that will be required.

This being said, I would choose either Celestial Pearl Danios (as previously suggested) or better yet a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnows (the "golden" variant would look great IMO).  They are both small, and tend to favor the upper half of the water column.

Plus they are both favorable to the water conditions suitable for the other fish you've listed.

I appreciate the warning - I had a huge goldfish in there that I just rehomed so I'm excited to have more variety. Remember, it's a bristlenose place (I know still good biolode but smaller) - before the school aqadvisor says I'm at 73% stocking. I'm a little obsessed with my tanks so I'll be on top of maintenance. 🙂 

If it were me I’d leave out the gouramis and get a group of neon tetras. They look great against plants, even in low light. Their peaceful, playful nature makes for a fun but relaxing tank to watch. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

I would personally not do tetras because I'm not a fan of the kind I have right now. With honeys, Celestial Pearl Danios, Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, or any other peaceful schooling rasbora would look really pretty and not take away from the bright yellows and oranges of the honeys.

I 3rd Celestial Pearl danios. While sometimes when they get comfortable in a tank and don't form as tight of schools and strike off on there own and explore, they are absolutely gorgeous against the backdrop of a planted aquarium. 

I know it doesn't fit the criteria of what you asked but I also love black darter tetra as my peaceful oddball fish. The males are absolutely striking especially when they are showing off for their harem of females. Although since they require live foods (some take to frozen) most people steer clear of them.

neon and cardinals tetra do not really school. they just sit around and look pretty.  sparkling gourami are a bit more active though not great schoolers. kubotai rasbora are very active but again not a tight schooler (i really like kubotai rasbora and aquahuna sell them pretty inexpensively) there are some nice pencil fishes - so you could look into those. 

-

I have both galaxy rasbora (celestial danios) and kubotai in the tank and would rate the kubotai an 8 and the galaxy a 5 with regards to keeping active - looks are a personal matter but again in prefer the green kubotai. 

It’s been my experience that the propensity to school, even from those who have the reputation, is influenced greatly by tank mates.  I have a 15 strong “school” of Celestial Pearl Danios that kind of just “hung around” before a a bunch of serpae tetras were introduced.

Since then, it’s been “everyone in formation!”

ive had this happen with many others too.

• Like 1