Figure 8 Puffer - Cloudy Eye / Ich

iRollDetroit

Hello everyone,

Hoping for some advice. I purchased 2 Figure 8 Puffers 6 days ago. They are in a 32g Fluval Flex that was setup as FW. This tank has been setup/cycled for a few months, originally was housing some smaller cichlids prior to moving them to my main tank and prepping for puffers. They are the only fish in the tank.  I purchased one smaller one (about 2in) and a larger one (probably 3.5" or so) that I assume is much older. Both showed normal "new home" symptoms for the first day. The smaller fish began eating after a day, the larger did not show any interest in food but seemed fine. The fish were held in FW at the LFS I purchased them from. 

About 3 days ago, the larger one (pictured) still had no appetite and started to display a slight white film over one eye. I researched a bit online and decided to dose with Melafix, thinking it was due to possibly injuring the eye from stress glass surfing or bumping into decor. 

Yesterday (2 days of Melafix), it had gotten much worse, now much less translucent film and visibly white. Only on one eye, still not eating.

Today, I noticed it was starting to develop spots on its back that looks like Ich (the pictures look much worse than in person). I decided to visit my LFS for some advice. They strongly advised against using Melafix and suggested ParaGuard and to begin raising the SG slowly. I did a 15% WC and brought the SG up to 1.002/3ish (hard to get exact number on the hydrometer I purchased, I ordered a refractometer this afternoon). I had planned on beginning the move to brackish after 2/3 weeks and the puffers were comfortable with their new home and myself.

Larger puffer is very lethargic, staying near the bottom for the most part with the occasional exploring. It doesn't seem to like the lights so I have been keeping them off. It's belly is occasionally lite grey (approx 20% of belly) while floating near the bottom which could just be it camouflaging and not stress? The greyness goes away almost immediately when it starts to swim around again. 

The smaller puffer seems perfectly fine still, eating as much as I'll give. Swimming around happily, checking on his buddy. 

pH: 7.5 (can raise with Malawi buffer I have for my cichlids if suggested, LFS said that marine salt will raise this and will test again in the morning EST) Tank has aragonite sand and Texas Holey Rock that was purchased specifically to keep PH higher. It was reading at 8.0 all week on my liquid test but LFS stated it was 7.5 today with a digital tool today.

Nitrates: <10ppm

Hardness: Reading between 150-300 on Multistrip Tests from coop store

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: Has been 0 all week on Coop test strips and API Liquid Tests. LFS tested water today and said they detected trace amounts <.10. This may be some food I have added over the last 2/3 days trying to get the larger one to eat. Should be resolved by the WC I did today. 

KH/Buffer: Between 40-80 on the multi test strip

Water Temperature: Was 78 until raising to 82 over the past 3 days incrementally. I have read that higher temp is good for treating Ich. 

I am aware that I may not be able to save it but even advice on something I may have done wrong is helpful. I have tried to be as diligent in research and care as possible and it sucks to see something wrong, especially if it's something I did. I have been looking forward to getting these fish for months now :/ 

Thanks everyone,

Ben

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

You seem to have great detail on the figure 8 puffers conditions and treatments. I have not attempted any brackish puffers and have not used melafix, pimafix, or paraguard in any tanks. I normally change more water and use the fritz line and or salt for my freshwater tanks to treat any issues I occasionally see. 

I am not able to share direct personal experience in that kind of set up or those issues but I generally assume that type of eye issue is possibly more of a fungal issue.  I hope it all works out with 2 healthy puffers figure 8s are neat.

What I would is keep treating with paraguard for the ich and the marine salt will help with eye condition cloudy eye is usually caused by poor water quality keep a close eye on parametersI would recommend soaking his food in seachem garlic guard to try and simulate his appetite

On 6/21/2021 at 11:49 AM, Colu said:

What I would is keep treating with paraguard for the ich and the marine salt will help with eye condition cloudy eye is usually caused by poor water quality keep a close eye on parametersI would recommend soaking his food in seachem garlic guard to try and simulate his appetite

Will do. I appreciate it. I am not sure how water quality was bad, testing multiple times a day have all been within recommended parameters for Fig 8s. I know the cloudy eye is a symptom and would like to know the initial cause. 

On 6/21/2021 at 7:56 PM, iRollDetroit said:

Will do. I appreciate it. I am not sure how water quality was bad, testing multiple times a day have all been within recommended parameters for Fig 8s. I know the cloudy eye is a symptom and would like to know the initial cause. 

He could have been keeped in poor water conditions before you got him and now your seeing the after effects  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

Updating this thread in hopes someone has seen something similar or has any input. This puffer has continued to get progressively worse. After switching to Ich-X after 8/9 days of ParaGuard with no changes, the Ich has seemed to be cleaned up. I am continuing treatment for another 3/4 days as recommended. 

I have been doing daily 50% WCs and have continued to dose with Melafix to assist in clearing up the eye cloudiness. It's condition has continued to worsen daily. As of today, it's lost most of the color in the front right side of it's face. 

Here are some current photos, I apologize, they are uncomfortable to view. Feeling terrible for this little guy 😞

Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

On 6/29/2021 at 9:37 PM, iRollDetroit said:

Hello everyone, 

Updating this thread in hopes someone has seen something similar or has any input. This puffer has continued to get progressively worse. After switching to Ich-X after 8/9 days of ParaGuard with no changes, the Ich has seemed to be cleaned up. I am continuing treatment for another 3/4 days as recommended. 

I have been doing daily 50% WCs and have continued to dose with Melafix to assist in clearing up the eye cloudiness. It's condition has continued to worsen daily. As of today, it's lost most of the color in the front right side of it's face. 

Here are some current photos, I apologize, they are uncomfortable to view. Feeling terrible for this little guy 😞

Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

Thats looks like a bacterial infection that started to cause necrosis of the skin I would start treating with kanaplex and API furan2 together combined they make a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment

On 6/29/2021 at 6:07 PM, Colu said:

Thats looks like a bacterial infection that started to cause necrosis of the skin I would start treating with kanaplex and API furan2 together combined they make a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment

Unfortunately he passed about an hour ago :(

I thought things were taking a good turn yesterday, Ich seemed to have completely cleared up. Today, he took a very drastic turn for the worse. 

Thank you for your advice today and before. I wish things had gone better for him.