I Still Don't Know What I'm Doing....

On 6/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ok then it may just be his shape, but feeding him a pea won't hurt either if you've got any. 🙂 You've seen him poop?

Not yet.

I don't think it means he hasn't though. I "visit" a lot but can't spend too much time in front of the tank.

The pea thing seems like a good idea. I'll try it. 🙂

I'm starting to have an algae problem.

20210630_122046.jpg.8ce93090ec35a2dad99ddcd8141051f4.jpg

20210630_122052.jpg.8731815e51f62ce5c25c8cbca2c093aa.jpg

20210630_122013.jpg.63adacb0e89531911d3831b8e2d26dfa.jpg

I was hoping my mystery snail might help with that but he is having too much fun feasting on all the green leafy "veges" I added to the tank. He probably calls the one he's munching on in these photos "spinach". 😡

Seriously, mate - eat your own vegetables!!

20210630_122704.jpg.9c7630b975bb7d2a4274544caa24ff49.jpg

Suggestions anyone? Was looking to get a nerite snail maybe, but they aren't widely available and are rather expensive where I live.

Edited by HonourWest
  • Like 1

Algae is part of any tank. Not to worry. Don’t compare your tank with pro aquascaper tanks. They don’t show you the videos with all the algae and early stages just the completed tanks. 

Nerite snails are great but will leave let sesame seed size eggs everywhere.

Algae like this is diatom related typically part of the evolution of most planted tanks.  Be patient, stay consistent with water changes and fertilization and should clear up with time. 

• Thanks 1

Okay sooo.... another water change. Another test.

Ammonia... 0ppm

20210630_180556.jpg.2e8952902e29631eb27dbe22be7d42af.jpg

Nitrite... 0ppm

20210630_180618.jpg.464d1e7292aa4f7b7e792dc0cb6a890b.jpg

Upside down Nitrate. (I swear I did not upload this upside down. Something is weird with the forum.)

(It looks like its closer to 20ppm.)

20210630_180710.jpg.039d29f52ac8aa265ca654212bd4b550.jpg

Awkwardly held PH levels (at 7ish)

20210630_181540.jpg.96b325a9e0e7780b6958fc3c2976dead.jpg

I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on my PH levels the next couple of days as I added a few rocks to the tank (after doing the nitrate acid test and giving them a solid wash.)  They are river rocks of the basalt variety and non porous so I feel pretty confident with them.

Gunna upload a photo of the new rocks and tank layout later.🙂

Edited by HonourWest

• 2 weeks later...

@Colu

@xXInkedPhoenixX

I think Gippy may have fin rot. 

Now all my research into fin rot indicates a water change. This isn't a problem for me- but unfortunately most of the fin rot advice recommends an 100% water change,  which is a problem. 

To begin with,  my tank has only just finished cycling. A complete water change will crash the cycle that I've only now got working. 

The second problem is that I added an Indian almond leaf to the tank only a couple of days ago. I was aiming for an ultra-healthy tank with blackwater. The leaf has only just started to do its job and has already tinted the water a nice yellow. 

I have a quarantine tank but I was thinking that moving Gippy would stress him as the environment would be completely sterile and has no plants. The fin rot has only just set in. 

What would be the best approach?

20210713_164016.jpg

20210712_131412.jpg

Edited by HonourWest

On 7/14/2021 at 12:53 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I agree. I'd very rarely do such a big water change, just frequent smaller ones. He looks good to me tho. Where are seeing rot??

Just at the very fringe of his tail and fins- they look jagged and torn.

Here are a couple more photos.

I hope I am being over-concerned but he has always been a lazy fish. Just recently though it seems like he is always resting on his leaf. This morning he didn't even swim out to get fed. I had to feed him where he was. (He ate greedily) The problem is I don't know enough to tell if this is just personality or lethargy due to illness.

I've been keeping an eye on the big bulge he has (his belly?) near his side fins. I still don't know if that is normal or not. (He came like that from the big fish store.)

Here are a couple more photos. 

20210713_163937.jpg.20c55c42e7c3344d12716152e0faa56a.jpg20210712_131408.jpg.eab2152b5c72bfc06fa35a9f4a1369b9.jpg

Edited by HonourWest

Hey Honour! I loved reading through the thread, very enjoyable. I’m sorry about your loss with Alphy, glad you’ve worked your way on to the right path though! It can be super hard to work past the nonsense advice on the internet to get to the really useful stuff. Especially with bettas. And even more so when there are competent looking store employees who tell you things that seem believable, that you want to believe!

It’s wonderful to see the effort you’ve put into curating a really amazing tank! It looks beautiful! 

Anyways, all that out of the way, time to get to Gippy! He looks like a lovely little fella, although that stomach is a bit worrying. Never seen that before. 
Fin rot is pretty easy to handle, I had it really bad on some tetras once after ignoring them for a while (I know, how could I ignore my cuties?!) and I fixed it in a couple weeks without much of a sweat. On some of them they even lost the majority of their tails, but it came back after treatment. If you wanna invest in a little bottle of helpfulness, I used a product called melafix that comes in handy a lot with abrasions, fin rot, and bodily issues. The IAL sounds like it was just in time though! I can’t remember quite what they release along with those tannins, but I know it’s good! 30 or 40% water change should be good. If there’s fin rot, it doesn’t look like it’s too bad actually. All you need to do is keep the water clean and it should be fine. 

I still can't see it on my end (the fin rot) Keep an eye on it and do small water changes if you feel the need. Maybe even add some aquarium salt. His shape is odd so like we talked about before maybe feed him some bits of pea and fast him a couple days. (Lots of basic info on that around the web). I'm wondering if he's plugged up. Keep an eye out for "pineconing" also easy enough to google.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I still can't see it on my end (the fin rot) Keep an eye on it and do small water changes if you feel the need. Maybe even add some aquarium salt. His shape is odd so like we talked about before maybe feed him some bits of pea and fast him a couple days. (Lots of basic info on that around the web). I'm wondering if he's plugged up. Keep an eye out for "pineconing" also easy enough to google.

Dropsy had crossed my mind. Which would be horrible. He's a lovely little fish.

Dropsy is awful. It doesn’t look like it to me though from everything you’ve said. I’ve suffered with a betta who had dropsy before, and it was terrible. So I hope for your sake you never have to deal with that.
I’ve also got a betta that I believe may be constipated (she won’t eat) and @Colusuggested I do some epsom salt baths to help her relieve herself. Maybe that would work for you too if that’s the issue? 

• Like 1

The pet stores most of the times will lie to you so you buy, there is this liquid that works wonder for amonia but stinks I’ll put the name tomorrow, someone here recommend to me and it works wonders, it declorinates your water take care of the amonia double job 

• 1 month later...