Hello from beautiful Saratoga springs Utah

Sheller

Hello everyone my name is Steve Heller and I have been keeping and breeding fish since 1990. I am on my 3rd Fish room and have approximately 35 tanks with the capacity to fit 50 total. I Used to be into African cichlids  when I lived in California working with an amazing breeder Named Jon N. in Simi Valley. He taught me so much and I will always be so grateful to him for letting me into his fish room every Saturday and let me pester him with Questions. My payment was always unlimited knowledge and he would always send me home with super rare and amazing fish to help me start my breeding career. He was a huge African cichlid guy that traveled all over the world collecting fish. One day he sent me home with a pair of Discus, I was hooked and actually ended up spawning them and this was before the internet was really a thing. Since then I have spawned many rare and so called "hard to breed fish ". My recent challenge was the midnight ram and it took 9 failures but finally cracked the code. I want to personally thank Cory and Dean for their motivational videos that kept me focused, Thank you guys! My next attempted venture will be the Heckle Discus and Altum Angelfish. Every day is an absolutely exciting adventure. 20210515_040745.jpg.42384d181ed64511c3b9518c92dd0c33.jpg

Resized_20210619_090122_27999206294682(1).jpeg

20210505_193302.jpg

20201228_141356.jpg

Edited by Sheller
  • Like 8

On 6/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Griznatch said:

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty impressive fish room. You have 3 currently, or this is the third one you've built?

This is my third fishroom. 1st room was approximately 400 sq.ft. and fully automated. Second was about 100 sq. ft. My current room is 240 and 100% hands on, I enjoy this one the most

On 6/19/2021 at 5:13 PM, Ken said:

Welcome from across the lake. I'm over in PG. Are you the guy I heard was spawning Discus in our super hard-high Ph water?

I have spawned them in Tap, not very successful but it was a mistake that just happened. The problem with that statement was the fish were put in a separate tank while I was building my permanent fish room. I never checked the parameters so it could of been naturally softened with plants and time so I would never claim that unless I was sure, unfortunately someone made that claim mostly through a misunderstanding. All my Discus spawn in under 100 ppm and -7 Ph

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, Streetwise said:

I thought Saratoga Springs was in New York? I have a Utah friend, so this is cool!

I have to always double check my shipping address when ordering Fish online because I don't want them going to New York, There are a lot of Fish people in Utah.

• Like 1

There must be a lot of Utahns keeping fish, or extreme coincidence - I just made an account too! I'm in Provo! Do you know of any local clubs that get together? Though my family had pet fish growing up, I haven't been too serious about the hobby till last year when everything shut down. I'm interested in breeding fish, but I'm limited in what I can do since we just rent a duplex with a small tank rule.

• Like 1

I only know of one local club out of SLC and they don't seem to meet very often, or know about the internet. There is a semi-active Facebook Group Called Utah County Aquarium-something and an associated buy-sell page.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:20 PM, Ken said:

I only know of one local club out of SLC and they don't seem to meet very often, or know about the internet. There is a semi-active Facebook Group Called Utah County Aquarium-something and an associated buy-sell page.

I think the SLC club is meeting this Thursday (the 24th)? I'm debating on going since it's a trip going up to SLC from Provo. I've never been to a local club meeting before but they might have an auction at the end.

On 6/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, CoelacanthChild said:

There must be a lot of Utahns keeping fish, or extreme coincidence - I just made an account too! I'm in Provo! Do you know of any local clubs that get together? Though my family had pet fish growing up, I haven't been too serious about the hobby till last year when everything shut down. I'm interested in breeding fish, but I'm limited in what I can do since we just rent a duplex with a small tank rule.

I have met some of the nicest people in Utah associated with this hobby and yes there are a lot of us out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum. Good luck getting the Heckels and altums to spawn. I worked with altums years ago and was never able to get them to spawn, and hope to again. I do have some Heckel discus I am growing out, they are 4-4.5" right now and will be trying to get them to spawn, and I also have some wild Leopoldi angels that I am trying now, but have not had any luck with. Be sure to keep us posted as to any spawning activity.