If you can get your hands on a small tupperware container and some backer rod, you can build a floating fry tray without too much fuss. Wrap the edges in the backer rod so the container floats and you're set! You can introduce fresh water with a pipette OR get fancy with it. Cut a few holes in the tub and then superglue fine mesh over them to allow constant water exchange. 

• Like 2

They're cute. Hard to say if it will work long term but the net seems to be a comfortable size for now. How did they get out? Did the net just sink down too far?? If the container is in the net and you have holes in it the only concern I would have is if they got caught between the 2 (net/container). If you can get yourself a more permanent style floating breeder- if this is going to be a regular thing you'll need one anyway. If you wanted you could release them when they're too big for anybody else to eat with the caveat that you won't know if anybody would pick on them anyway and it'll be harder to keep track of them but that might not be an issue. 

I don't think it will keep happening but I do have a male swordtail with the female mollies the net didn't stay above the water completely even with the clips so they just had to find the right spot and go out hence the container surrounded by the net as a backup problem is my town doesn't have the floating breeder nets and the only place that has live fish has adults so I have to keep them at least till they are big enough not to be eaten next time I go to Petco or PetSmart is when I can get a small floating one this still takes a large amount of room in the tank or ordering online but the mail system has been just oh so great lately

Just curious 3 are very light color and the rest are very dark is this just taking after parents or something else I have silver mollies a swordtail and I can't remember the breed of the last one but here's a picture

16241580946578594381963062192667.jpg

16241582092215652122127053931220.jpg

Edited by Samanthabea
Added another photo

Totally get it. When you look at the breeders if they are still not what you need for your tank and you don't figure out another way to rig a homemade one you could try a temporary holding tank or a plastic bin set up like a quarantine. It doesn't take much more than that, a small filter or at least an airstone and likely more frequent water changes depending on size and amount of fish. I got the biggest one of this particular temporary holder and it has come in handy a few times. Going on the cheap a plastic bin of your choice (best with a lid for the jumpers) should be around 10 bucks, sponge filter less than 10 usually, and if you already have an air pump you could splice a line into the holding tank with a limiter and turn it up/down easily. 

Resized_20210330_121622.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame

As to the colors of your fishies those are genetic things I have not enough knowledge on to comment! I'll let the experts here handle that one if they care to. 🙂 

(the breeds of fish I have always come out looking like their parents)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify