Tetra with red blotch

HonourWest

I just grabbed these two little guys from my local fish shop.

I didn't think they looked the healthiest at the shop but didn't have a chance to get a good look at them until I got home.

Both of then look pretty sickly and lack colour. One of them has a large red blotch on one side of his abdomen and the other looks like it has a line of black specks on the top of its head.

I've treated the water with Seachem Prime. Should I use anti-fungal or antibacterial for the meds?

Sorry about the pics. Hard to get good ones in the quarantine tank.

20210618_114658.jpg.c03f517b613fb52e2e99b4f147be1522.jpg20210618_114703.jpg.2d6b93b599e0ea2841cfb7b0d021df09.jpg20210618_115812.jpg.b3bc5ef091ccb3e8139417ad5883ce6a.jpg20210618_115821.jpg.bd76f73d7743002bfec4b9423c0e7b3a.jpg

On 6/18/2021 at 12:11 PM, Colu said:

Gallons

Are you sure it should be that much? Sorry, I don't want to question you but when my betta had columnaris the fish store owner gave me aquarium salts and told me to dose a teaspoon for my 30 litre betta tank. (It's planted so maybe that has something to do with it...)

Edited by HonourWest

@HonourWest since you're in Aus Maracyn = Erythromycin which treats bacterial infections. You already have the equivalent of Maracyn 2 = Tetracycline which is an antibiotic. If it gets out of hand you may be able to use what you have and see if that improves. If I were in your shoes I'd wait and see, but I'm more of a gambler. 

I think keeping the water super clean, treating with salt will be ok. Keep an eye on them. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:18 PM, Colu said:

If you have live plants salt at that level will harm them  you could monitor if it starts to get worse treat with maracyn 

On 6/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@HonourWest since you're in Aus Maracyn = Erythromycin which treats bacterial infections. You already have the equivalent of Maracyn 2 = Tetracycline which is an antibiotic. If it gets out of hand you may be able to use what you have and see if that improves. If I were in your shoes I'd wait and see, but I'm more of a gambler. 

I think keeping the water super clean, treating with salt will be ok. Keep an eye on them. 

Thankyou to you both!

There are no live plants in the quarantine tank, so if that's what the small dose was for I'll add the extra salt and just monitor them carefully. It they appear to get worse I'll add some of the antibiotics.

• Like 2