We might be expecting tadpoles

Patrick_G

Question.....each time I go to the LFS they have one type or another dwarf frog. What are yours? I know they would eat bladder snails but would they eat mystery snails.  My niece is returning her 2 to me ....long story...so I’m going to put them in a 10 g guppy fry tank. Would they live peacefully with mystery snails and guppy fry fry can be relocated if need all tanks are snail maxed.  How big of a tank would I need to upgrade to? Do you need to keep in pairs or is solitary ok?

The frogs are my wife’s. They’re her one true love in the hobby! I know they’re safe with Mystery Snails and Otos and Bettas. They have eaten small barbs and tetras but not the Otos for some reason. I know there’s a clawed variety that should be avoided and sometimes the LFS gets them mixed up. You’ll have to look up the difference. I’m not even sure what the clawed ones look like. 

• Like 1

@GuppysnailI recently started a tank for my Mum, we had an African Dwarf Frog a LONG time ago when they were selling them as novelties in cubes. She wanted a frog again. I got her a 3 gallon GloFish cube tank. Originally we were only going to get one as some recommended only 1 per 3 or 5 gallon tank, but saw other set ups where 2 do fine. As you know it's all about the tank. We got 2, an albino and a grey just like @Patrick_G's grey frogs. They are doing REALLY well. My understanding is they would likely eat any small fry- even their own babies. There are bladder snails in her tank and they seem to be left alone. It also might be a matter of how much you feed. My Mum is feeding fairly rich food (so far frozen bloodworms and freeze dried tubifex) every other day by hand (tweezers). They are fat and happy- which might be why the bladders are free roaming. We haven't done a water change yet and it's been about a month. The water parameters are great. 

...and yes there is a clawed variety, they look much the same but you can tell the difference when you look at their feet. Google image it. 

Resized_20210524_160721.jpg

Resized_20210527_170212.jpg

Resized_20210527_170241.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@GuppysnailI recently started a tank for my Mum, we had an African Dwarf Frog a LONG time ago when they were selling them as novelties in cubes. She wanted a frog again. I got her a 3 gallon GloFish cube tank. Originally we were only going to get one as some recommended only 1 per 3 or 5 gallon tank, but saw other set ups where 2 do fine. As you know it's all about the tank. We got 2, an albino and a grey just like @Patrick_G's grey frogs. They are doing REALLY well. My understanding is they would likely eat any small fry- even their own babies. There are bladder snails in her tank and they seem to be left alone. It also might be a matter of how much you feed. My Mum is feeding fairly rich food (so far frozen bloodworms and freeze dried tubifex) every other day by hand (tweezers). They are fat and happy- which might be why the bladders are free roaming. We haven't done a water change yet and it's been about a month. The water parameters are great. 

...and yes there is a clawed variety, they look much the same but you can tell the difference when you look at their feet. Google image it. 

Resized_20210524_160721.jpg

Resized_20210527_170212.jpg

Resized_20210527_170241.jpg

Ok it’s time to do some serious homework on these guys I’m so infatuated. Thanks for the info 

• Like 1

@Guppysnail yeah they are super cool aquatic pets. I'm not sure how predatorial they'll be they're actually kind of clumsy to me. I feel like they try to go a certain direction and fail miserably most times. Little clowns are fun to watch. But they almost violently attack the worms at the end of the tweezers- soooo. They often recommend not having a tank too deep too since they surface on a semi regular basis, we've got betta leaves and the albino rests often up top there, not necessarily exposing themselves to air (because of course they're fully aquatic frogs that can't be out of water) but they seem to like to hang in that area if they're able, just below the surface.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We had the same experience! We got our male African dwarf frog (Remy) about 2 months before our female, so he reached sexual maturity first and started “singing” at night. Our female (Rosie) hit sexual maturity a little later and started getting fat. I was concerned and did a ton of research. We woke up one morning to find Rosie and the other fish chowing down on some of her eggs. We were able to save about a dozen and watched them hatch. But they quickly swam out of the tiny holes in the breeder box we had them in inside our tank and got eaten (we think). It was still really cool to see the process. We’re hoping next to be able to save more eggs and try again and getting some tadpoles!  I did notice that since it was her first time, she seemed to have fewer eggs, and she spawned them within a four day period. Several on day one which were quickly eaten, then she spawned again a couple days later which was when we were able to save the eggs. It seems to happen in the morning from our observation. So much fun!

DED360FD-D698-4ED1-8838-88CE558DAA88.jpeg

3EFD7458-34AF-4456-B97D-90913E5D692A.jpeg

8C2251B8-44B1-434F-872B-0589540012D9.jpeg

85934293-BC19-4996-9F09-2C08CE536B58.png