What are those? Free algae cleaning crew?

BaRanchik

These guys have lately spread across my tank, cleaning the algae for me, doing an even better job than my otocinclus.

What are they? I want to thank them personally.

Edit: Their size is around 1mm if this helps.

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-17 at 17.30.30.jpeg

Edited by BaRanchik

Maybe the are water fleas, seed shrimp, perhaps daphnia? These three are microorganisms that can develop in your tank. While I doubt it is daphnia, since this is a live food culture, it could be, but I don't know if daphnia will develop naturally. What kinds of fish are in the tank? I am raising a few huge spawns of ricefish which are new borns in a breeder net, seed shrimp started swimming around in the net, my guess is the develop with seasoned tanks. From any research I have done, I do not think that the can or will harm fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:06 PM, BriannesFishFam said:

Maybe the are water fleas, seed shrimp, perhaps daphnia? These three are microorganisms that can develop in your tank. While I doubt it is daphnia, since this is a live food culture, it could be, but I don't know if daphnia will develop naturally. What kinds of fish are in the tank? I am raising a few huge spawns of ricefish which are new borns in a breeder net, seed shrimp started swimming around in the net, my guess is the develop with seasoned tanks. From any research I have done, I do not think that the can or will harm fish.

I think you are right with seed shrimp. Thanks!

I like them, they are good at eating the diatom algae, so I'm not planning to get rid of them. Good to know what lives in my aquarium though, haha!

No problem, seed shrimp are fun to watch as well. If you have fish in there that will get 3 or more inches the will eat them up when the grow. I don't know the stocking if this tank so you might be able to keep your seed shrimp. If your fish end up eating them and you have algae issues, depending on the size tank, you can try a bristlenose plecos. BN (or bristlenose) plecos do a great job covering algae and detritus and said to break large clumps of detritus p to where the filter takes care of it better. If our tank is small (under 1-15 gallons) I would try 1 nerite snail per 5 gallons if water volume. Nerites are really good with algae and they are not that noticeable, the come in some very cool patterns. You don't have to worry about them multiplying in freshwater because I think it is the eggs hatch in either brackish or saltwater, I cannot remember.

I have what might be the worlds laziest Betta that will literally let neo shrimp in his tank crawl over him as he sleeps...but the second he sees an Ostracod (seed shrimp) swimming free in the water,  he takes off like a flash and gobbles them up.

• Like 2