Selling My House

CalmedByFish

While still living in my house, I need to get it looking tidy and relatively empty to be shown to potential buyers. I have 4 fish tanks. Need I really say more?

I can kind of tuck away the many electric cords, air tubing, etc. But then there's the random wet net, cups, extra quart-size container that I had to temporarily put some snails in, tons of water sitting out to come to room temp for water changes... And it's not like I can just set wet things aside and put a lid on it. Hello, mold. 

This is 1% of my current problems, but I assume I'll find empathy in this group. Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, CalmedByFish said:

While still living in my house, I need to get it looking tidy and relatively empty to be shown to potential buyers. I have 4 fish tanks. Need I really say more?

I can kind of tuck away the many electric cords, air tubing, etc. But then there's the random wet net, cups, extra quart-size container that I had to temporarily put some snails in, tons of water sitting out to come to room temp for water changes... And it's not like I can just set wet things aside and put a lid on it. Hello, mold. 

This is 1% of my current problems, but I assume I'll find empathy in this group. Ugh.

Bummer. Really sorry to hear.

I'd probably get a plastic storage bin from Walmart, and put everything unnecessary in that outside on the back porch, downstairs, in the garage, etc.

As for pails / buckets . . . Maybe it's time to invest in a Python for water changes? I know it can seem scary. Resting water is always advised, etc. But speaking personally, having changed 385.5 gallons of water across about 17 tanks with a python straight from my city water for years, I can attest that it works fine. Granted, it may be just too much right now -- but it will save you buckets.

• Like 2

I’m as guilty as the next person of leaving my aquarium stuff laying around. I do have a couple of cabinets that have become dedicated storage places for buckets, hoses etc. Baskets are another good option, if your real estate agent is staging the house they might even have some available. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, DaveO said:

Most likely your house will be sold in a few days with the market the way it is. So declutter as best you can for now. The real mess starts when you move.😒

agree, it is really a sellers market at the moment, and as long as your place isnt trashed, a little fish clutter shouldnt detract.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, DaveO said:

Most likely your house will be sold in a few days with the market the way it is. So declutter as best you can for now. The real mess starts when you move.😒

I hope this does turn out to be the case. I'm concerned about the actual moving for sure - but I've done it many times. This is my first experience "showing" a house. I'm a "make it work" type person rather than a "make it impress" type person. It's all so frustratingly petty. 

Hi, I edit out and retouch real estate photography for a living, if you wish you can send me the photos you need to hide cables off and I can edit them out no problem! Removing furniture/non-permanent cables isn't really missrepresentation and I do it all the time. Would be glad to help. Free of course haha.

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, HenryC said:

Hi, I edit out and retouch real estate photography for a living, if you wish you can send me the photos you need to hide cables off and I can edit them out no problem! Removing furniture/non-permanent cables isn't really missrepresentation and I do it all the time. Would be glad to help. Free of course haha.

Your photographs have always been stunning! Now I know why. You know what you are doing.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 6:49 AM, HenryC said:

Cool idea! I'll keep that in mind. Thank you. 

At the moment, it's The Great Purge: trash, recycle, Goodwill, and a little selling. Over and over and over...

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2021 at 10:43 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Cool idea! I'll keep that in mind. Thank you. 

At the moment, it's The Great Purge: trash, recycle, Goodwill, and a little selling. Over and over and over...

it is amazing how much clutter one accumulates over a few years in a house.