Top Floating Plant Suggestion

Hello. We are currently transitioning our tank into a planted tank. Our tank is a Top Fin Corner tank. We are looking for a top floating type of plant that will do well with hard water , low to medium lighting and no co2. We also don't see the very top of the tank, so we want something that would have longer cool looking roots that would hang down into the tank.  I was thinking about Red Root Floater possibly, thinking it might add some depth of color to tank , to go along with the scarlet temple in the tank.  

Photo for reference. Excuse the cloudiness, we completely redid our tank yesterday so everything was clearing. Under the rock is a  layer of Fluval Stratum. Plans are to eventually remove the octopus in the back and move the sword in the planter to that location. and then add another piece of driftwood and attach some anubias or more java fern. Also we will be adding in more Scarlett temple plants as well. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QVZrLZvnFtsHgoDZA

Here's a before the transition just for fun: 🙂

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tVw8NPvjr4znrgei6

I'd second the Amazon Frogbit--I have super hard water, and it was fairly successful to me until I cleaned out the duckweed that came with it and then it slowly disappeared--no idea why--maybe a flow issue.  Salvinia has stuck around well for me, too, but it doesn't have very long, cool roots.  I'm giving water lettuce a try soon, so I can let you know how that goes!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 7:36 AM, KaitieG said:

I'd second the Amazon Frogbit--I have super hard water, and it was fairly successful to me until I cleaned out the duckweed that came with it and then it slowly disappeared--no idea why--maybe a flow issue.  Salvinia has stuck around well for me, too, but it doesn't have very long, cool roots.  I'm giving water lettuce a try soon, so I can let you know how that goes!

Yeah we have great luck with the Salvinia (Water Spangles) too, but yeah...short roots.

I have red root floater, Amazon frogbit, Riccia fluitans, salvinia and dwarf water lettuce. I like red root floaters the best because the reddish/brownish colour makes a good contrast to my mostly green plants. I like salvinia the least because some will stick to your arm like duckweed, but less bad because they are bigger plants and most will drop off.

I have hard water and all those plants are doing well. The main thing that seem to cause them problems is strong flow. I used air tube initially to corral them then set them free once there's a good covering.