Plastidip on Acrylic Tank

SunBearQ

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone has used plastidip on an acrylic aquarium before? I use it on my glass tanks but this is my first acrylic aquarium so I’m not sure… I have read that some people say that is fine and others recommend static cling film instead. 

Edited by SunBearQ
  • Like 1

I prefer static cling or adhesive backed films but I am sure plastidip will have no problem adhering to the acrylic. Rubber is incredibly sticky. It won't have any adverse chemical reactions either if that is what you are concerned with.

Also black silicone is nice and easy to apply. I have been told other pigments exist, but they are not readily available at home depot or lowes.

Edited by Biotope Biologist

On 6/15/2021 at 11:55 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

... It won't have any adverse chemical reactions either if that is what you are concerned with.

Granted I've not tried it, but, Plasti dip has a lot of organic solvents in it[1]  including >16% hexane, >13% toluene, and MEK.  Any one of those will damage acrylic.  I bet after it dried it would be fine but it may loose strength and it may not come off or it may haze the acrylic at least.

[1]: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/files/msdss/38048 8814.pdf

Edited by CT_
  • Like 3

On 6/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, CT_ said:

Plasti dip has a lot of organic solvents in it including >16% hexane, >13% toluene, and MEK.  Any one of those will damage acrylic.  I bet after it dried it would be fine but it may loose strength and it may not come off or it may haze the acrylic at least.

This...

Best way to find out is grab a sample of acrylic and paint it. then after a 24 hour cure remove the plastidip and see if it damages the acrylic. Plastidip has been used on many forms of thermoplastics in the car world with no effect for ages. Keep in mind toluene and hexane exist in most spray adhesives including spray paint. Not saying you are wrong or trying to argue, but organic chemistry can vary based on what solution was applied to what surface.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 10:20 AM, lefty o said:

if the tank isnt super large(no one wants to wrestle around a large tank), you could pick out a spot on the bottom to test if so inclined.

My inclination would be to choose a top edge maybe under the HOB, just in case it weakens it more than I expect. 

On 6/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, SunBearQ said:

Thanks again ...

I noticed you made a few of these posts.  And we all appreciate the thanks   🙂 !  There's a forum feature to save you a post.  Its the heart to the bottom right of each post you can hover over it and react in a few ways including "like", and "thanks". 

(note: It's hard to read intent on forums and I'm just trying to show a feature, not scold.  People on this forum are super nice and you don't have to worry about that unless you have blatantly hostile behavior, but then a mod is likely to take care of it before you even see it 🙂 )

Edited by CT_
left, right, whats the difference really
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...