Rescue betta some questions

Chiclid addict

So I just rescued a betta off fb he came with and will be temporarily in a 1g until his 10 is ready but I just had a few questions regarding some of the fishes behavior he will purposely stick himself to the filter but he doesn’t flash so I don’t think it could be ick any ideas would be appreciated this is my first Betta and I want really expecting him even though he’s not the most complicated fish I own I know the least about him. also I put a pic and if you see anything physically wrong with him please let me know image.jpg.e17fab841024bdf441b7d737ff234981.jpg

Does he move around ok otherwise? My betta Kimono liked to hang out near the top vent (where the carbon filter was so I presume there was some flow into that chamber just not a lot) and he seemed kind of "stuck" with his fins spread. I feel like maybe he was doing it because it felt good or maybe because he didn't have to make an effort to stay afloat or move. Otherwise he moved around just fine and behaved normally. This looks like a crown tail? He looks pretty healthy to me.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2021 at 10:17 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Does he move around ok otherwise? My betta Kimono liked to hang out near the top vent (where the carbon filter was so I presume there was some flow into that chamber just not a lot) and he seemed kind of "stuck" with his fins spread. I feel like maybe he was doing it because it felt good or maybe because he didn't have to make an effort to stay afloat or move. Otherwise he moved around just fine and behaved normally. This looks like a crown tail? He looks pretty healthy to me.

Yeah he moves around just fine I believe like you said He likes the flow alsoI believe he is a crown tail I’m new to bettas so I don’t really know 

I don't see any visual signs of stress or disease. Betta splendens are weird fish and some behaviors aren't correlated to stress rather a sense of quirkiness. I had a ton of rescue bettas in my time working at national pet store chain and no two exhibited the same behavior. I had one that would fall asleep on a lily leaf close to the surface so part of his body extended above the waters surface. 

I feel that you have a strong enough background in aquarium keeping that I don't have to explain the woes of 1 gallon water swings. I am sure he will enjoy his new 10g when it's ready.

I agree--he looks like a nice, healthy fish from what I can see in the picture.  The betta I had with that kind of filter liked to hang out in front of and behind it, too.  There seemed to be an attraction there with those filters in particular, but I don't have a large sample size to bear that out...just a single experience.  My betta's now in a 20 with some tank mates and a HOB with sponge intake and sponge filter and he doesn't hang out near those.  Like others have said, if he's swimming around well otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:17 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Your betta does that too! My Betta does that also, thats where he sleeps for the night. I thought it was just him!

You've got looker😍 @Angelfishlover

On 6/15/2021 at 10:55 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I don't see any visual signs of stress or disease. Betta splendens are weird fish and some behaviors aren't correlated to stress rather a sense of quirkiness. I had a ton of rescue bettas in my time working at national pet store chain and no two exhibited the same behavior. I had one that would fall asleep on a lily leaf close to the surface so part of his body extended above the waters surface. 

I feel that you have a strong enough background in aquarium keeping that I don't have to explain the woes of 1 gallon water swings. I am sure he will enjoy his new 10g when it's ready.

Yeah I already know the things of a 1g that’s why I addressed it in the original post, thanks for the advice!

I'll add my voice to the chorus of "my bettas like to sleep against the filter intakes as well".  It takes a good amount of energy to move those big fins through the water,  so it's very typical that males will fins a spot where they can either prop themselves on something or have the water flow hold them in place and take a cat nap.  Very normal behavior.  

If the previous owner gave you food with the Betta,  check and see if it has an expiration date on it.  Betta food is high in oils and proteins and can easily turn rancid after a couple months of being open and exposed to air and that can further complicate water quality in a small volume tank.

• Like 1