HOB placement

Leo2o915

I personally like to place my HOB filters on the back of my tanks, in the corner, as that makes it easy to hide them. But none of them are long like a 40 breeder... If this is a planted tank that isn't super overstocked I think you might be over filtering. A few pictures could help. With the info given I think your current setup is fine seeing as you have three filters in the tank (again a bit overkill imo).

Mine is side mounted on the 29gal.  It provides  even water flow across the entire length of the aquarium.  My lighting is composed of 3 individual lights mounted front to back.  The side mounted filter does not interfere with light placement, and the narrow profile does not seem to be as noticeable as the HOB.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:24 AM, Shadow_Arbor said:

I personally like to place my HOB filters on the back of my tanks, in the corner, as that makes it easy to hide them. But none of them are long like a 40 breeder... If this is a planted tank that isn't super overstocked I think you might be over filtering. A few pictures could help. With the info given I think your current setup is fine seeing as you have three filters in the tank (again a bit overkill imo).

It’s a L134 breeding tank so got 8 of them and 12 cardinal tetras with shrimp in it 

I put mine wherever or whichever direction I want the flow or where it it most hidden.  I watch for a bit and see for any dead spots. Air stone for dead spots and if I put it on a side I put a spong on the other side. I do not think there is a right or wrong as long as you have flow throughout the entire tank even if it is moderate flow. Dead spots are the only concern and easily fixed. I’ve never heard anything contrary but I’m sure everyone has their own way. 

Anther factor to consider is the lid, is there one?  That limits side choices if you have one.    The plecos can be messy so the HOB may be necessary.  I think two sponge filters are two many but can you have too much bacteria filtration?  It ultimately is your preference.

• Like 2

My 40 breeder has a Marineland Pro 275 centered on the back and a medium CoOp sponge filter in each back corner. The HOB has a CoOp intake and just course sponge in it. The HOB is for water movement, I have become convinced that fish and plants like water movement and algae doesn't. I have to clean the intake on the HOB about every other week, the sponge inside about every third week and the sponge filters in the corners once every blue moon.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 8:37 PM, Ken said:

My 40 breeder has a Marineland Pro 275 centered on the back and a medium CoOp sponge filter in each back corner. The HOB has a CoOp intake and just course sponge in it. The HOB is for water movement, I have become convinced that fish and plants like water movement and algae doesn't. I have to clean the intake on the HOB about every other week, the sponge inside about every third week and the sponge filters in the corners once every blue moon.

Yup plus these plecos love water movement 

I've had success with HOB in many different arrangements, as long as it's sized appropriately for the tank, I prefer sponge filters now, but totally understand the water movement advantages of the HOB. I have even mounted an over-sized HOB on the side of a 15 gallon and plumbed the intake under gravel to the other end to create a "Flowing Stream" from right to left, worked well but became complicated to clean because I kept the pickup hidden low behind plastic plants. But I would totally do it again with some minor improvements.

With 1 HOB and 2 Sponge I don't think there is a wrong place to put it, where ever it creates the flow you want and or wherever it is aesthetically pleasing to you.