Quarantine tank

Dkshadowwolf

Hi everyone 

I have been in the hobby for a long time, and during that time I have never quarantine new fish. I know, you would think I would no better,  but I always thought the meds would do more harm then good especially if I was going to breed them. I have had only two instances of a major outbreak in over 30 years. One I was able to get through with a lot of hard work and worry with only two casualties in a well stocked 125 gallon aquarium with various schools of Tetras and Corries. The second instances years later caught me off guard and cost me nearly the entire tank. Needless to say, I have changed my opinion on quarantine. Having said that and having rebuilt my dream aquarium back to its original glory and now having had it up and running for more than 5 years , I will always be quarantining any new fish. Now that I have seen the error of my ways, I want to know how long to quarantine if I use the Aquarium Co op, method of preventative treatment. I have listened to and watched the various videos, so I get the 3 med one week treatment, but after that initial week how much longer do most of you quarantine your new arrivals. I was thinking another 2 weeks after the first. I was also wondering should I start water changing out the meds with 30% weekly for the following 2 weeks, before placing the new arrivals in to my display tanks.

EE13D3E5-0E24-45FD-96C3-8ABF9D428360.jpeg

Edited by Dkshadowwolf
Added photo
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 10:21 PM, Dkshadowwolf said:

Hi everyone 

I have been in the hobby for a long time, and during that time I have never quarantine new fish. I know, you would think I would no better,  but I always thought the meds would do more harm then good especially if I was going to breed them. I have had only two instances of a major outbreak in over 30 years. One I was able to get through with a lot of hard work and worry with only two casualties in a well stocked 125 gallon aquarium with various schools of Tetras and Corries. The second instances years later caught me off guard and cost me nearly the entire tank. Needless to say, I have changed my opinion on quarantine. Having said that and having rebuilt my dream aquarium back to its original glory and now having had it up and running for more than 5 years , I will always be quarantining any new fish. Now that I have seen the error of my ways, I want to know how long to quarantine if I use the Aquarium Co op, method of preventative treatment. I have listened to and watched the various videos, so I get the 3 med one week treatment, but after that initial week how much longer do most of you quarantine your new arrivals. I was thinking another 2 weeks after the first. I was also wondering should I start water changing out the meds with 30% weekly for the following 2 weeks, before placing the new arrivals in to my display tanks.

Thanks for sharing! That's what I'd do. Three weeks total. And, per directions with each treatment, yes, generally water change each week. Of course, the transition shouldn't really be bringing any quarantine tank water over to the display tank.

Would love to see a photo of your big tank if you've got one...