Best plant from aquarium co op to suck up nitrates nitrite

Leo2o915

On 6/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think Cory mentioned that Hornwort is the best Nitrate reducer, and forum folks always recommend floating plants. As far as plants Aquarium Coop sell goes I’d go for Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus or Water Wisteria. 

Which one is faster at growing ? From both 

I'd add water sprite to the list. Both PSO and Water Sprite grow at astronomical rates in my tank. I don't have water wisteria, but I might get some for my 55 gallon.

Also look for floating plants. Amazon Frogbit and Water Lettuce are amazing at clearing the water of nitrates. For the first time since starting my tank, I actually have 0 nitrates in my cycled aquarium because I added a water lettuce and PSO... time to increase fertilizers!

• Like 4

I've had great succes with the floating Salvinia Natans to get rid of nitrates.
Plus side over stam plants for me is that it's easy to remove if it's growing fast.
Just grab some out of the aquarium instead of trimming and cutting.

Edited by Remlicht89
  • Like 1

Hornwort definitely can grow inches per day it filters out so much. water wisteria phenomenal  I let it grow submerged until it emerges. I let it grow over the top of my tank so it has unlimited access to co2.  Between these two I hack the jungle down weekly so I can see my pets. I use nothing in that tank no fertz just prime water conditioner.

I have recently been seeing a lot about Pothos roots only in leaves out doing even better than wisteria and my reading says it will wipe almost everything out of a tank to the point you have to feed fertilizer to your plants 

• Like 2

Water wisteria is super fast for sure. I have a bunch planted in my 10 gallon running medium to high light and a little CO2. I TRIPLE dosed Easy Green yesterday and this morning I’m sitting at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. Currently seasoning this tank so no fin babies in there yet. I’ve also got quite a bit of Anacharis in there with crypts and Anubias Barteri and Nana Petite, but I credit the nitrate disposal to the wisteria! I also have used frogbit and water lettuce in another tank and as others have attested to, they’re nitrate eating monsters! 😄

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

I'd look at local pet stores, I've sometimes seen it at Petco. You can also buy it online on Etsy and Ebay.

And craigslist!! most "fast growing" plants are easy to get from hobbyists in your area because they are so fast growing they are overwhelming!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, well. You know. Elodea Densa. Or Duckweed. Actually the last one I used in my aquarium a year ago and I can say that my clownfish liked it (at least I hope so). Maybe it will help you too. 

Unfortunately my clownfish died when I forgot to feed them... Just read interesing book https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094NMRWPJ and forgot about them. My daughter still cannot forgive me. 

That is actually a good example of how you do not need to forget about your present reality... 

Edited by Phantom5533
Grammar issues and punctuation