20 Gallon Betta Bowl

ARMYVET

On 6/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I wish I could get mine on board more. I've tried telling her I'd set a tank up for her, she can scape/ decorate it and pick out whatever fish she wants, but no luck. 

My husband isn't down either.  He enjoys them, but doesn't want to be involved. 

He manages the rescue turtle pond, though.  Now it's my job to scape it.  

• Like 1

Just thought I would give an update.  We are one week into the new tank setup. The fishless cycle is underway and progressing well.  
Due to some unique circumstances I overdosed the tank with ammonia when I started it up.  At one point the ammonia was so high it was off the chart but after one week  I tested ammonia and nitrite last night and the ammonia is down to 1-2 ppm and my nitrites are way up.  

355081E0-4121-417B-A9F4-7BFBEDF052BD.jpeg

• Like 1

Also while doing my testing something got my attention out of the corner of my eye. 

Evidently there was a stowaway on the plants when I planted them.  Not that I am upset in any way I live snails but can someone tell me how the little bugger is alive in ammonia and nitrite hell?  Not only alive but thriving and laying eggs?!?  

Named him Turbo….man that little sucker can move!!

52163DEE-F155-473C-AC7D-9A0F0A373945.jpeg

• Haha 3

This was a very fun thread to read through. You have some amazing writting skills!

Have you considerd writting an article for the forum for nerm week? I think you could write an excellent personal narrative article. For information visit the link below:

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 2:57 PM, James Black said:

This was a very fun thread to read through. You have some amazing writting skills!

Have you considerd writting an article for the forum for nerm week? I think you could write an excellent personal narrative article. For information visit the link below:

Thank you for such kind words.  I did not know about the FMA.  It sounds interesting.... Maybe Ill reach out to @Danieland talk to him about it.

Again Thank you and follow the thread...will be updating with new additions coming soon.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:54 PM, ARMYVET said:

Thank you for such kind words.  I did not know about the FMA.  It sounds interesting.... Maybe Ill reach out to @Danieland talk to him about it.

Again Thank you and follow the thread...will be updating with new additions coming soon.

Reading an article from you would be wonderful! @Anita is the person to reach out to.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, ARMYVET said:

Also while doing my testing something got my attention out of the corner of my eye. 

Evidently there was a stowaway on the plants when I planted them.  Not that I am upset in any way I live snails but can someone tell me how the little bugger is alive in ammonia and nitrite hell?  Not only alive but thriving and laying eggs?!?  

Named him Turbo….man that little sucker can move!!

52163DEE-F155-473C-AC7D-9A0F0A373945.jpeg

Many waste water treatment plants get bladder snail infestations.  My theory is Mother Nature designed them to go into near uninhabitable situations and start the clean up process.  I use them to help my ...plant...silent...whatever it’s currently called new tank start up. I love them. Meet honey. Loved her color put her in a tank with no bladders by herself so she would replicate her color. 

F958F096-4EDB-4206-8427-24F290B098AB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

So it has been 2 weeks since the cycle started and as of Sunday I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 15 nitrates.  The plants are looking good got some brown thread algae growing....Thinking I need to bolster the cleaning crew other than the pond/bladder snails I we currently have after surviving ammonia/nitrite hell. 

SO without further ad due.....

• Like 2

One time i went to the lake and filled my bucket up to try to catch and release some fish. I caught nothing but I got a little tiny snail which i didn't notice until I got home and sprayed the bucket out with chlorine water and let it sit. THE LITTLE GUY WAS LITERALLY GOING AROUND IN CHLORINE. Those snails can survive everything 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, Taco Playz said:

One time i went to the lake and filled my bucket up to try to catch and release some fish. I caught nothing but I got a little tiny snail which i didn't notice until I got home and sprayed the bucket out with chlorine water and let it sit. THE LITTLE GUY WAS LITERALLY GOING AROUND IN CHLORINE. Those snails can survive everything 😂

After watching them not only survive but multiply in more ammonia than my wife used to clean the bathroom I now believe they will survive a nuclear bomb!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well we have some updated news.  This tank was after all built to be as the title suggests...a Betta Tank.  Well for the last couple of weeks I have been showing my wife pictures of different kinds of Bettas.  In the process there were a couple she liked but then there was this one she loved.  Well Without her knowing I got her that Betta....he has been in QT for a week now and tomorrow he will be added to his forever home.  With his hopefully new friends the Amano Shrimp, the Cherry shrimp and the Mystery Snail sex addicts...LOL Seriously they have been going at if for over a week now ....im like geeze get a room and they look at me and say get out this is or room!!!

Pics will be arriving on Sunday after 24 hours of lights out to let him get comfortable. 

Stay Tuned!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Well here we are…Today is the big reveal!  Today is the day to let the world see my wife’s 20 gallon Betta Bowl become complete. 

Hailing from the great State of Texas….Flown first class…no really …it was first class USPS…To his new home in South Florida.  
I am pleased …no honored to welcome into our family our newest adopted child…

Please join me in welcoming…..E9EB22F8-B3A9-4BF0-9196-D3D2759C1A1D.jpeg.96a0207226de255228780b31ab34aed5.jpeg

Beautiful Blue….or BB FOR SHORT!

• Like 8
  • Love 5