Pea puffer not eating, 6 days now.

RogueAquarium

Tested water quality. Holding steady at 0-0- somewhere between 5-10 Nitrate and 7.6ph. No luck with the tool, but that was because I couldn't get fine manipulation on the syringe. Will try again with a pipette, as squeezing will probably be easier than pinching.

Not sure if you got answers already but maybe try feeding something different. Blackworms, bloodworms, bbs, daphnia, grindal worms are all what I feed to puffers. You can try garlic guard  as well. This could potentially be a worm or disease on the inside if the fish doesn't show any signs other than not eating.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:18 AM, BriannesFishFam said:

Not sure if you got answers already but maybe try feeding something different. Blackworms, bloodworms, bbs, daphnia, grindal worms are all what I feed to puffers. You can try garlic guard  as well. This could potentially be a worm or disease on the inside if the fish doesn't show any signs other than not eating.

Yeah, I've tried everything I have access too. I live in a small community. I have a petco and a petsmart within 100 miles, and 1 local pet store. none of them stock live food like this, unless I can get them to eat little crickets. I've asked around my fish keeping community and the vinegar eels and brine shrimp are as much as people around here have.

Should I maybe move this over to a journal section?

Update, he's still around, and seems to be more active and a little less shy, but I don't notice his pinched stomach looking any better, and I haven't SEEN him eat for a day or 2 now. Brine shrimp should be hatched out in another few hours, will update when I put them in.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:59 PM, RogueAquarium said:

Yeah, I've tried everything I have access too. I live in a small community. I have a petco and a petsmart within 100 miles, and 1 local pet store. none of them stock live food like this, unless I can get them to eat little crickets. I've asked around my fish keeping community and the vinegar eels and brine shrimp are as much as people around here have.

Let me know if you need any grindal worms, I ship

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, BriannesFishFam said:

Let me know if you need any grindal worms, I ship

I may take you up on that! Luckily, one of the people in the local community gave me a small culture of black worms today! He has been hiding since I got home with them, but I have about 8 or so in there now, and I'm sure they will be found (sticking half way out of the sand wiggling around)

• Like 1

Update: The two are exploring around the tank, and have seen the worms (several in the soil, and I put one out so it was on top of a leaf when I woke up) but the little guy appears scared of them... He fixed in on one in the soil and started maneuvering like he was going to eat it, but then it waved toward him and spooked him and he ran away. He did the same thing to the one on top of the leaf. This is hopeful though, It's the first time I have ever seen him lock onto a target and start hunting maneuvering. When he goes for micro fauna it's much like other fish.

Maybe he just hasn't had any live food like this before and his instincts are a little weaker than the female? I suspect he will get the hang of this one sooner or later and hopefully this is our bridge up to hunting larger things and putting on weight.

Tank just finished a second round of general cure (wanted to hit the female after adding her, just in case.)

• Like 1

SUCCESS!!!!! I dropped one in front of both of them and they watched it wriggle as it hit the ground. The Female took a chomp, but left half, and the boy got the other half!!!! FINALLY!!!!!! 

We aren't out of the woods yet, but this is SO encouraging! He was curious about the other worms before, but now appears to be actively hunting for more instead of just investigating what the strange new wiggly thing is.

HE ATE!!! HE FINALLY ATE!!!!! 

Edit: He's eaten 2 more full worms now. He's not so good at hunting them (they go still and confuse him if they have their tail in the sand) but if I drop one in and it wriggles trying to get into the sand he sees and catches it just fine. Ill post a pic in a bit, I WATCHED his stomach go from pinched into his body, to now nicely rounded and I figured you guys would like to see that!

Edited by RogueAquarium
  • Love 3

Here it is! 2 happy fat puffers! Now time to plan the transition to the 10, and figure out what to do with the desktop 5.5....

Male pictured on the left with bulged tummy from black worms! Female has been eating good since she got in the tank so is getting nice and plump.20210619_123117.jpg.2bd15fa4bb2a796b757af9afee7136d9.jpg

Edited by RogueAquarium

On 6/25/2021 at 3:43 AM, RogueAquarium said:

FINAL UPDATE!: JUST saw him eat his first baby snail, which means he is FINALLY eating what will be his primary food source! 

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all the help and advice you gave me! Very glad I found this place.

Good hear he is finally eating 

• Like 1