Wanted to get recommendations for pond fish. I have a ~100 gallon barrel, about 3.5-4' in diameter. that's housing fantail goldfish and white clouds currently. It's got a very well-established lily system going. The bottom two inches of  barrel are a mass of roots and hair algae that won't come apart without tearing at it. I live in Southern CA by the beach with a low temperature of about 40F and high of low 90s, and that lasts about 3 days tops typically. I could always water change to reset water temperatures, since ground water is 60F year round, but I'd prefer just to let things go naturally for the most part.

I like goldfish and white clouds because they aren't skittish when I come up to the barrel. I had mosquito fish in the past and they would hide as soon as I got near. What else would work in this barrel? Rice fish (skittish?). Dojo loach (too cold?).

Thanks for any ideas.

On 6/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, theotheragentm said:

Wanted to get recommendations for pond fish. I have a ~100 gallon barrel, about 3.5-4' in diameter. that's housing fantail goldfish and white clouds currently. It's got a very well-established lily system going. The bottom two inches of  barrel are a mass of roots and hair algae that won't come apart without tearing at it. I live in Southern CA by the beach with a low temperature of about 40F and high of low 90s, and that lasts about 3 days tops typically. I could always water change to reset water temperatures, since ground water is 60F year round, but I'd prefer just to let things go naturally for the most part.

I like goldfish and white clouds because they aren't skittish when I come up to the barrel. I had mosquito fish in the past and they would hide as soon as I got near. What else would work in this barrel? Rice fish (skittish?). Dojo loach (too cold?).

Thanks for any ideas.

Just for my own clarity . . . (sorry if I'm just not reading you correctly) are you asking for an additional species that will work together _with_ goldfish and white clouds? -- it seems this is what you're after.

Are you trying to breed fish in the barrel? Or just enjoy them . . .

Originally I was asking for something compatible with what is existing, but I supposed I would rehome what I have if something interesting was suggested.

Not looking to breed. My guess is with the thick bottom mat of roots and hair grass, I will get some breeding from the white clouds.

I've kept feeder goldfish in the past there, and they were lots of fun. Unfortunately the raccoons got to them. I've since put a guard around the barrel. My concern with common goldfish is them outcompeting everyone for food and eventually getting to the White Clouds as they get larger.

I really wish I could keep a rainbow of guppies in there year round.