long, red and slimy worms!

Blurb

found these curled up in the roots of a plant I was relocating. thought blood worms first when I saw their color but then they turned out to be very long, so nooo.... what do you think it is? Leeches or...???

20210614_184902.jpg.bf1de4a9eff387dd6c324921875292e5.jpg20210614_185056.jpg.06ce0168e98ca852f20138bd53ab1211.jpg20210614_184934.jpg.70a9969777af7ca87a05caaecc942584.jpg

I'm not sure what those are . . .

Here's a good basic article on aquarium worms.

Of the things cited there, could these be camallanus worms? I've only heard of them protruding from a fish anus . . . not living large in the substrate.

If I had to just throw out a guess, I'd wonder out loud if they are live blood worms. I don't even know - can they live in your substrate? Maybe a variety of black worms?

Kind of Eeeeww! 🤮

• Thanks 1

So, there is something called an aquatic earthworm. Also given where you found it, I would think it was unlikely a parasite. I do not think camallanus get anywhere near that big, nor do I think they hang out outside of fish for a long time. If they are leeches they typically will move in a weird way, sort of undulating to swim, like a snake might.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah, but I haven't found The answer yet. Yes probably a hitchhiker tubifex, but could it be black worms? Just fed some BW I bought from the LFS and there are similarities but these are way bigger.  we are talking up to 16-17 cm ( 6-7 inch?). they don't really swim around, just crawl. Hmm.

How long have you had the plant? Was the plant planted in soil? Kind of looks like a young red worm, like the kind you get when you buy red worms for fishing. Just a thought but if you got this plant recently and it was grown immersed in dirt, it could be a worm from that.