How to filter a aquarium in the middle of a room?

Run an air line on the ceiling and drop it down above the tank to run a sponge filter in the middle, perhaps? Drilling is another option, but a risky one that not many people want to take on. If you do choose to drill, make sure you double check that the glass isn't tempered. You can find instructions on that on YouTube, it involves a pair of polarized sunglasses. 

• Like 1

Do you have the ability to run electricity or plumbing up through the floor via a basement or crawlspace?

For a filter I guess you could easily do a canister or sump if you can drill the bottom the the aquarium, if the bottom panel isn't made of tempered glass.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

If you were to drill how would the intake and outtake be located? Especially for @Daniel, do you just bury the out and intake in your scape?

The intake, the overflow and the 2 returns are all visible in the photo above. But they are positioned so that your tend not to notice them. The overflow is the most visible. It is the tall gray pipe on the left side.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 5:15 PM, Daniel said:

The intake, the overflow and the 2 returns are all visible in the photo above. But they are positioned so that your tend not to notice them. The overflow is the most visible. It is the tall gray pipe on the left side.

Did the filter you buy come with the stiff tube or did you have to make it yourself? All the canister filters I have are more of a plastic coil (Fluval 407).

Edited by Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics

On 6/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Did the filter you buy come with the stiff tube or did you have to make it yourself? All the canister filters I have are more of a plastic coil (Fluval 407).

here is an idea of how some tanks are done

SCA-150G-4.jpg

On 6/14/2021 at 10:52 AM, Daniel said:

I have a tank in the middle of the room viewable from 4 sides.

That's a beautiful tank!

On 6/14/2021 at 11:23 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’m not sure you need anything special, but I like this large cube setup at a LFS.

Is that Aqualand in south Minneapolis?!

Most center room aquariums, like hex tanks, and cylinders have a central column coming up the middle.  A fake reef or log.  Better ones use natural materials.  The best ones I have seen seem to have nothing though.  The absolute best cylinder was clear the way through and looked like a piece of palagic habitat.  You could see there was good flow, but I have zero ideas how they accomplished that!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

If you were to drill how would the intake and outtake be located? Especially for @Daniel, do you just bury the out and intake in your scape?

They are located in the bottom of the tank; the tank in our condo (which was very old) had 2 3 inch tubes that stick straight up in the middle of the tank. You can hide them with drift wood or similar. They serve as the intake and outtake. There is no overflow box or similar on the side of the tank. The only trick is muffling the noise of whatever you use for filtration under the tank. This can be partially accomplished with sound proofing of the stand or as someone else suggested if you have a basement below the room running the piping to the room below.