Selling Livebearers--Tips??

KaitieG

Hi All,

I needing to get rid of some fancy guppies (population boom...what a shock! LOL)--just mutts, but they are very nice looking and started out with stock from Twin City Guppies a couple years ago.  My LFS used to take them, but they are closing in 2 weeks 😭 and therefore not taking on new stock.  They are nicely colored up and about 1 1/2 inches long.  

So, I've watched Cory's fish selling videos, but I'm wondering if any of you have tips/tricks for selling to big box stores since that's my only even semi-local option.  

I do have 1 very small, very local pet store, but I've tried them before and they were uninterested.

Long term plan here is to have an angelfish to keep down the fry population, but I'm getting that from a local breeder, and they're not ready yet, so alternate population control measures are needed!

• Like 1

Have you tried Facebook? I'm not a fan of the platform, but local fish groups are there. Posting photos of your guppies there may stir up interest. You can always try Aquabid and put up sales for "local pickup only." 

I know how you feel; the only store I'd trust to take my fish has closed and there's no local fish club here.

• Like 3

I really don't want to ship fish.  I live in the middle of nowhere with a post office that's open like 4 hours a day and no UPS/FedX.  I know the box stores buy from other local breeders because I used to participate in the online fish club auctions.  Unfortunately, those have moved to in-person auctions, and they're over an hour away, and that just seems really daunting.

And unfortunately I don't have Facebook.  The local(ish) fish club has an online forum, but it's pretty much a dead zone.  I might try posting there anyway.  Can't hurt 🙂

• Like 2

I just recently donated 8 guppies to my LFS. It's a well-known store and I think they only pay well-established local breeders, but thankfully take donations. Anyway I went in one day and asked who to speak to about donating guppies, and the guy told me he had to set up a tank for them and to call the day before bringing them, which I did. So maybe just approach the fish manager or store manager at the big box, and explain your issue, show them photos, and hopefully they will take them. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you have many options. Best of luck!

Fingers crossed!  I sent an inquiry to the big box store and we'll see what they say.  I really thought I had a decent safety net set up:

1. Angelfish (safety net delayed!)

2. LFS (closing suddenly)

3. Online Club Auction (Now in-person)

Sigh.  I'm fine with donating, if that's what they come back with.  But we'll see. 

• Like 1